What's new

Next room hub?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scaramonga

Regular Contributor
Thought I'd ask the experts here.

I have an AXE16000 as main router, and I'm thinking about placing my spare AX88U (next room) for my 4 3D Printers. What is best way to set this up guys? The AX88U will be solely for this purpose, or will a 'powerline' solution work better?

Thanks for any advice peeps. x

Try Media Bridge mode. It's a Wireless-to-Ethernet bridge. Connect your printers to the LAN ports.

Interesting. Thank you indeed.

Another option if one already has Ethernet wired run into the other room, or doesn't mind running it to the other room, is using AP mode. Or one can just use AiMesh mode when using all Asus AiMesh supported routers.

[Wireless Router] Introduction of Operation Mode

Media Bridge: Router can be configured in Media Bridge mode. The Media Bridge mode provides the fastest 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for multiple media devices simultaneously.To set up the Media Bridge mode, you need two Routers: One configured as the Media station and the other as a router. Configure one router as the first router and the second router as an 802.11ac Media Bridge to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices such as computer, Smart TV, game console, DVR, or media player via Ethernet cable. Change to Media Bridge mode to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices. In Media Bridge mode, only wireless devices connect to the Parent AP. Client devices need to be connected to the Media Bridge with a network cable. Click here for detailed steps.

Access Point mode: In Access Point (AP) mode, router connects to a wireless router through an Ethernet cable to extend the coverage of wireless signal to other network clients. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled by default. Click here for detailed steps.

AiMesh Node: You can set this router as an AiMesh node to extend an existing AiMesh routers WiFi coverage.
1. Factory resetting this router will allow it to join an existing AiMesh network.
2. Please go to the AiMesh settings page of your existing router to add an AiMesh node. Click here for detailed steps.

Another option if one already has Ethernet wired run

If there is Ethernet in this room all needed is a switch. 3D printers have Ethernet ports.

The information you copy/paste-d is old and partially incorrect. First - of course Asus will tell users two Asus routers are needed. Reality - the parent AP doesn't have to be made by Asus. Tested with other routers and different APs. Second - Media Bridge mode works on N, AC, AX and perhaps the new BE routers. Doesn't have to be AC.

Is this like a 'mesh'?

No. Asus likes to name differently common things. What they call Media Bridge is called Wireless Bridge in other routers. It's a wireless client with Ethernet ports. Only wired devices can be connected to it. All router functions are disabled and connected to it clients receive IPs from the main router DHCP. Try it and see how well it works for you.

Got it all set up and was working great, now it's went down?, and never connects. Tried to reboot, remove 160/80/40 etc, nope, it all worked for 30 mins, then bang, nothing. Does 'Media Bridge' have some rules that I may not know about?

Both on 3004.388.6 Merlin.

Unfortunately, in my experience Media Bridge is not very stable on specific router models and firmware. Try with stock Asuswrt, go a version back if no go with latest, test again. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on a Media Bridge nor latest firmware. Nothing is changed there in Asuswrt-Merlin compared to stock Asuswrt.

No ports, as I haven't got to the point of plugging in anything yet. I have wiped both my routers (listed below), and reset galore. Don't get me wrong, it was working for a short while, and was good while it lasted. I'm beginning to think firmware, as it was fine whilst on beta 1 (on 88U), but I wanted both to match, and since, no go :(

There is no access to media bridge on my network. Main router is fine, but so is the 88U?, as lights show good to go.

Factory resets done also.

There is honestly not much to go wrong, as regards the 'bridge', as in the 88u's case, because there are no settings available after putting it into MB mode, or very little.

Last edited:
???

You performed a full reset. You enabled Media Bridge mode. You connected to your main router's WiFi.

Now, you must plug in a device to use this MB router.

Yes, I did test it with a Pi 5, which worked great, before it went down. I should also still be able to access MB from network?, but although that did work, it no longer does, like the Pi.

I would like to add, all the rest of my network is fine, all 47 devices. It's the 48th I'm struggling with. Not used to connecting 'routers' together, no Sir.

Last edited:
It may depend on what the Pi5 is doing...

Really?

Well, it was powered up, and I ran a series of updates, all of which completed (this tests the download speed in Linux), I then proceeded to change my wallpaper, (I hate the stock OS paper) well, that was it!

I run several printers, and I need it to be reliable, so...

Seriously? (although the above is the truth).

Last edited:
and I need it to be reliable

Then this Media Bridge may not be good option for you. Next room? Find Ethernet wire options and a switch instead.

*Update*

All been running good now for 3 days. Not a problem. All I did was downgrade AX88U back to 'beta', the AXE16000 untouched. Pretty good thus far :) Printing happily :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!