What's new

nmap results show open/filtered UDP ports on main WAN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
Hi All... I would like to know if this looks normal to you? I ran an nmap against UDP ports hanging off my main WAN connection IP, and got these results...

Code:
67/udp   open|filtered dhcps
137/udp  open|filtered netbios-ns
138/udp  open|filtered netbios-dgm
3702/udp open|filtered ws-discovery
5353/udp open|filtered zeroconf

Could you please check your end to see what you get, for those who keep tabs on their firewalls? Does it make sense to close these, or would that cause networking on this level to grind to a halt? I'm semi-comfortable that they are open|filtered... as that means they are not responding, but still indicate that they are open according to the nmap documentation.

I was also surprised when doing an nmap against my TCP ports on my main WAN connection, that one port was open unbeknownst to me:

Code:
8200/tcp open  trivnet1

It turned out that under the main router UI -> USB Application -> Media Server -> Enable UPnP Media Server was enabled... After disabling that, tcp port 8200 was closed.

Perfectly normal if you're testing from your LAN side. None of those are exposed to the internet.
You're correct... I just ran an nmap from outside my network, and no UDP ports are showing as open. Thanks for the validation!

Hi All... I would like to know if this looks normal to you? I ran an nmap against UDP ports hanging off my main WAN connection IP, and got these results...

Code:
3702/udp open|filtered ws-discovery

Could you please check your end to see what you get, for those who keep tabs on their firewalls? Does it make sense to close these, or would that cause networking on this level to grind to a halt? I'm semi-comfortable that they are open|filtered... as that means they are not responding, but still indicate that they are open according to the nmap documentation.

I was also surprised when doing an nmap against my TCP ports on my main WAN connection, that one port was open unbeknownst to me:

Code:
8200/tcp open  trivnet1

It turned out that under the main router UI -> USB Application -> Media Server -> Enable UPnP Media Server was enabled... After disabling that, tcp port 8200 was closed.
Here is what mine looks like.

Code:
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT     STATE         SERVICE
123/udp  open|filtered ntp
161/udp  open|filtered snmp

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!