What's new

No 160mhz bandwidth in Canada?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK That appears to confirm that your router doesn't not support the relevant channels for 160MHz operation. So there's nothing you can do other than hope that changes in a future update (or replace it which a different device).
But what does this mean near the bottom, I see 160Mhz. Does that mean it's there but not accessible?

SSID: "WackyCards-5G2"
noise: -88 dBm Channel: 149/80
BSSID: 3C:7C:3F:65:A0:38 Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 155 80MHz (0xe09b)
Primary channel: 149
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
NSS1 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS2 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS3 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
NSS4 Tx: 0-11 Rx: 0-11
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:

But what does this mean near the bottom, I see 160Mhz. Does that mean it's there but not accessible?

SSID: "WackyCards-5G2"
noise: -88 dBm Channel: 149/80
BSSID: 3C:7C:3F:65:A0:38 Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 155 80MHz (0xe09b)
Primary channel: 149
HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
Supported HT MCS : 0-31
Supported VHT MCS:
Supported HE MCS:
80 Mhz:
160 Mhz:

It means that the wireless chip is capable of 160MHz operation provided that the requisite channels are available. Unfortunately you don't have the required 8 contiguous channels available on your router. I'm not aware of any Asus routers that support the 80MHz+80MHz mode mentioned in a previous post, but I'm not that familiar with the XT8 so YMMV.

It means that the wireless chip is capable of 160MHz operation provided that the requisite channels are available. Unfortunately you don't have the required 8 contiguous channels available on your router. I'm not aware of any Asus routers that support the 80MHz+80MHz mode mentioned in a previous post, but I'm not that familiar with the XT8 so YMMV.
So this goes back to me thinking it's a Country/Region restriction.

So this goes back to me thinking it's a Country/Region restriction.
Yes, that in combination with the way Asus implements the two 5GHz bands on their tri-band routers.

At the end on the day, it doesn't matter what the reasoning is, that option is not available on your router. It's not something you're setting incorrectly.

I don't see any option under the 5 Ghz -2 to enable 160Mhz. I've seen people post pictures with a checkbox next to the Channel Bandwidth to enable it. I'm only seeing 20/40/80 Mhz. My max link speed on my phone or laptop which are both WIFI 6 is 1200Mbps.
Screenshot 2022-01-28 082257.jpg

From a regulation perspective, Canada does allow the bands required for 160MHz operations starting 2018
5GHz Regulations in Canada (2018 Update) – SemFio Networks

I'm not sure why your unit do not show channels 52-64 available. Perhaps your units hardware revision have some issues meeting DFS and transmission power requirements. Are you sure this is a Canadian market authorized model? What hardware revision do you have?

If you have an early revision (not familiar with your model, but I had hardware issues with A0 revisions of my Asus routers which all got resolved when Asus replaced them free of charge to later hardware revision).

As others indicated, this is a firmware limitation and while you might find ways to bypass it - it will void any warranty and can potentially be illegal. To clarify, it's not illegal to set your unit to the correct regulatory domain you are in, but if you hack your unit to bypass restrictions without ensuring you meet the regulations (power output, DFS, etc.) it is illegal.

Finally, let me repeat my warning - 160MHz might not yield desired results. As you can see from the link I included, Canadian regulations require much lower power output on channels 52-64 and DFS which can reduce range and performance due to interference.

That said, I completely understand the frustration when buying 802.11ax (WiFi 6) equipment that specification-wise, supports 160MHz channel bandwidth just to discover your unit doesn't. Perhaps you can use that to get Asus to replace your system or give you a refund to buy units that support 160MHz bandwidth.

In general, I'd recommend you review the official products certified to WiFi 6 and have 160MHz:
Product Finder Results | Wi-Fi Alliance

I'm not sure why your unit do not show channels 52-64 available.
It's because his router has two 5GHz radios. Asus excludes channels 52-64 so that there's no possibility of having both radios operating on adjacent frequencies when the antennas are only inches apart from each other.

It's because his router has two 5GHz radios. Asus excludes channels 52-64 so that there's no possibility of having both radios operating on adjacent frequencies when the antennas are only inches apart from each other.
If that's the case, he might have a case to get a refund or exchange.

It's a puzzling decision. Asus can easily create a software-based restriction whereas if the first 5G radio is set to 160MHz, it automatically sets the low channels (36-64) for that radio and sets the 5G-2 radio to 80MHz on the high channel range (149-165).
And they can do the same to not allow adjacent bands on both radios even if using 80MHz.

This could be a potential advantage especially if using wireless backhaul to have both units communicate using 160MHz 4x4 (especially since they can use full transmit power).

It's a puzzling decision. Asus can easily create a software-based restriction whereas if the first 5G radio is set to 160MHz, it automatically sets the low channels (36-64) for that radio and sets the 5G-2 radio to 80MHz on the high channel range (149-165).
And they can do the same to not allow adjacent bands on both radios even if using 80MHz.
There's all sorts of things Asus could do. Whether they do it is another thing. Bear in mind that the wireless code is the same for all countries apart from the masking off of certain channels. You open up a can of worms if you start adding conditional code (there's already a certain amount) like, if model=w and band=1 and country=x and channel=y and bandwidth=z then change band 2 channels and bandwidth to aaa/bbb.

This could be a potential advantage especially if using wireless backhaul to have both units communicate using 160MHz 4x4 (especially since they can use full transmit power).
That's not possible with the XT8's hardware because the first 5GHz radio only has two antennas which are physically separate from the four antennas used by the second radio.

All of this is academic to the OP though. If the XT8's sold in Canada cannot support 160MHz mode they should not be saying it does on their website.

Last edited:
maybe off topic, the more I think about my setup at home the less I focus on Wi-Fi, as long as I get my emails and YouTube works well.... most devices are on Ethernet so way more stable than Wi-Fi.
160MHz vs 80MHz, just don't see the real world difference...

For everyone with Canadian Model XT8, here is the information that could be useful to all.

I've recently purchased Canadian Model White XT8 - 2 Pack and noticed that 160MHz was not available on the second 5GHz band. After contacting Asus Support, they have confirmed that they have a note in their file that XT8 and X86U or X92U (can't recall exactly whether it was X86U or X92U) models have different chipset for Canadian Model and will not support 160MHz which was due to Canadian regulation. Asus Canada also do not provide replacement and the only option is to send them in for repair.

I've ended up returning this 2-Pack model and purchased White XT8 - 1 Pack from Amazon.ca which is the US model that supports 160MHz on the second 5GHz band. (White XT8 - 1 Pack is US model since the two manuals inside the package are English and Spanish where as 2-Pack Canadian Models will have English and French manuals). I can also confirm that the 1 Pack I've bought from Amazon.ca shows 160MHz in the option.

Hope this information is useful to those wondering why their Canadian Models do not show 160MHz.

I bought the pack of 2 XT8 15 days back and have the same issue of 160 MHz not being available in the settings.

I do have a RT-AX86u and I know that 160 MHz works in Canada.

But the question is, should I keep the routers or return it just because of 160 MHz not being available? The mesh is working for me perfectly fine in a 3 storey house and I don't think switching wireless back haul to 160 MHz will not improve the performance drastically.

The cheaper version of mesh XD6 doesn't have good reviews because it does not have 3rd channel for wireless back haul.

Any thoughts? Or is there a better mesh system out there in the same price range?

I bought the pack of 2 XT8 15 days back and have the same issue of 160 MHz not being available in the settings.

I do have a RT-AX86u and I know that 160 MHz works in Canada.

Hmm, you sure about that? According to Wikipedia's list of 5GHz WLAN channels, Canada hasn't licensed any more non-DFS spectrum than the US has, and there are no clear 160MHz channels here south of the border (barring the U-NII-4 band, which Canada hasn't licensed yet as far as I've heard). Depending on how close you are to airport or weather radars, DFS channels might be fine for you, but it's no sure thing. Anyway, if you want to try it, you need to check the checkbox that says it's OK to use DFS channels. I'm guessing you enabled that on your RT-AX68u but not the XT8s. (Maybe the GUI presents this differently on the two models?)

Hmm, you sure about that? According to Wikipedia's list of 5GHz WLAN channels, Canada hasn't licensed any more non-DFS spectrum than the US has, and there are no clear 160MHz channels here south of the border (barring the U-NII-4 band, which Canada hasn't licensed yet as far as I've heard). Depending on how close you are to airport or weather radars, DFS channels might be fine for you, but it's no sure thing. Anyway, if you want to try it, you need to check the checkbox that says it's OK to use DFS channels. I'm guessing you enabled that on your RT-AX68u but not the XT8s. (Maybe the GUI presents this differently on the two models?)
I meant that I have used 160 MHz on RT-AX86u and Asus also confirmed that it have the option. I am not anywhere near airport or weather radars.

Also they confirmed that chipset supports it, it's just locked in the firmware which they can't do. My point is that if the hardware supports it, then at least give us option to use it.

The main question is that backhaul being on 160 MHz such a major difference to keep or return the XT8s?

The main question is that backhaul being on 160 MHz such a major difference to keep or return the XT8s?

Well ... is the aggregate bandwidth from your clients linked to the remote node likely to regularly exceed 1200Mbps? If not, it's not really hurting you that the backhaul link can only manage that. On the other hand, if you feel that ASUS advertised this ability and you bought on the strength of that, you should return 'em on the basis that you don't want to support false advertising.

ax92u and ax11000 has the same issues.

What should we do they advertise 160mhz on both channels for the ax11000, false advertiserment it sounds like.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!