What's new

No 2.4g Wifi on AX86U after Merlin 388.1 stable (SOLVED)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ac3200user

Occasional Visitor
hi all,
After upgrading to Merlin 388.1 stable, i noticed that my 2.4g wifi clients are not connecting to my main router (AX86u). They still connect to my older AC68u's who are in Mesh-mode.
The main router only serves a couple of 5g wifi clients.

I didn't change any setting when upgrading from a previous Merlin, where all was fine.

What could be the case?

Same issue different model of router - RT-AX58U. None of my IOT devices are able to connect on 2.4g :(, have you been able to fix?

I had a similar problem with my RT-AX86U nodes running against my main router which is a RT-AX88U. I have found that if I switch the 2.4Ghz Authentication Method to WPA2/WPA3 and saved settings the IOT devices are able to connect to the RT-AX86Us.

It seemed that it wasn't that specific setting, but various settings seems to cause the problem to go away, however this one works reliably for me.

I had a similar problem with my RT-AX86U nodes running against my main router which is a RT-AX88U. I have found that if I switch the 2.4Ghz Authentication Method to WPA2/WPA3 and saved settings the IOT devices are able to connect to the RT-AX86Us.

It seemed that it wasn't that specific setting, but various settings seems to cause the problem to go away, however this one works reliably for me.
Thanks for the suggestion, have just adjusted my config to that and still no joy :( . Below if how my 2.4 GHz network is configured in case you spot anything.
1673203342702.png

Nothing jumps out - there are various strange reports with WiFi on the RT-AX86U. It seems to originate from the stock Asus firmware so RMerlin can't do anything to fix, but I had found that some strange settings changes in WiFi produced unexpected but helpful results.

Radios not working correctly can sometimes be fixed by a Factory Default Reset.
You can try importing backup settings but if that fails you need to Factory Reset again and enter settings from scratch.

hi all: PROBLEM SOLVED

I've found a solution to my problem. I discovered that my 2.4g wifi-problems started shortly after i connected a usb-powered harddrive to my Asus.
I disconnected it (plugged it out) and rebooted my AX86u, and everything works well again on 2.4g wifi.

Maybe this will solve it for you too?

(In this document the problem is described. Has got nothing to do with Asus or with the Merlin firmware. But it's a realistic problem when connecting usb 3.0 to the router.)

Last edited:
hi all: PROBLEM SOLVED

I've found a solution to my problem. I discovered that my 2.4g wifi-problems started shortly after i connected a usb-powered harddrive to my Asus.
I disconnected it (plugged it out) and rebooted my AX86u, and everything works well again on 2.4g wifi.

Maybe this will solve it for you too?

(In this document the problem is described. Has got nothing to do with Asus or with the Merlin firmware. But it's a realistic problem when connecting usb 3.0 to the router.)
Thank you very much, I'm having this problem as well.

If I want to continue using usb, what should I do?

Try Switching usb port settings from usb 3 to usb 2

Use a USB drive that has its own power supply and has good shielded cables.

Have you tried using a short USB extension... just like 1-to-3 feet... maybe enough to get the noise away from the antennas & chassis.
+
You could elevate the router slightly & leave the Hard-drive/USB-Stick on the original surface.
+ as bbunge mentioned above, use well shielded cables.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!