What's new

No 2.4ghz traffic except in the evening.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3s1k

Regular Contributor
I've been having lots of issues with 2.4ghz traffic. I just got a new 3D printer that only uses 2.4ghz and noticed it was having intermittent connection issues while everyone was still awake and streaming video on the tv. After everyone went to bed the printer was fine and able to stream the live video feed through the app. It's almost as if streaming is sucking up all the bandwidth. If it matters I have 2gig internet from my ISP and I'm using the 2.5g wan port.

I already have QOS turned off and just updated to the latest firmware last night. This has been an issue for a long time so I'm sure it's not FW. It seems to only affect devices on 2.4ghz. I've tested this by connecting my iphone 14 to the 2.4ghz and then running a speed test. It will either have very slow speeds or speed test will timeout.

Any ideas before I go and buy a new mesh wifi router to see if that solves my problem? Also again if it matters. I have three 4k TV's in the house and 5 nest camera's around the house. I turned down the quality on the nest because the cameras on 2.4ghz kept disconnecting. I ended up switching those th the 5ghz channel and that seemed to help.

I just got a new 3D printer that only uses 2.4ghz and noticed it was having intermittent connection issues while everyone was still awake and streaming video on the tv

I would recommend getting a dedicated AP for that link over to the printer - and putting it on it's own SSID.

If your printer has an ethernet connection, that would be even better...

It sure sounds like the 2.4GHz band is saturated where you are --- and if that's the case, buying more wifi gear is likely to just make it worse. Do you have a lot of nearby wifi-using neighbors? Can you move any more of your own gear to the 5GHz band?

I'd start by getting a wifi scanner app and doing a survey to see how many SSIDs are visible and what the channel utilization is.

I concur with @sfx2000 that a hard-wired connection to the printer might be your best way out of it; but gather some hard data first.

I concur with @sfx2000 that a hard-wired connection to the printer might be your best way out of it; but gather some hard data first.

With a 3D-Printer - going over the Wire is best - an interrupted print is a waste of time and material...

Sounds like you are using separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Better to use Dual Band SmartConnect with a single SSID and let the router and clients choose the band they want to use. Also use auto channel and 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on the 5 GHz band and 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band. In other words, use the WIFI defaults! You may be surprised how well it works...

With a 3D-Printer - going over the Wire is best - an interrupted print is a waste of time and material...
I agree. It's a Bambu Labs X1C and I believe it downloads the print over wifi to the machine then prints. It doesn't require the internet to print only to download. But I can also load prints to an SD card.

Sounds like you are using separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Better to use Dual Band SmartConnect with a single SSID and let the router and clients choose the band they want to use. Also use auto channel and 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on the 5 GHz band and 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band. In other words, use the WIFI defaults! You may be surprised how well it works...
Correct. I'm using two different ssid. One has 5ghz appended to the end so I know which one is which. I tried a single ssid in the past and had issues with devices flapping between the two ssid or not knowing which one to connect to. I solved that by using separate ssid.

I'll check my settings on the channels. I know 160mhz is enabled for 5ghz. Not sure about the 2.4ghz.

It sure sounds like the 2.4GHz band is saturated where you are --- and if that's the case, buying more wifi gear is likely to just make it worse. Do you have a lot of nearby wifi-using neighbors? Can you move any more of your own gear to the 5GHz band?

I'd start by getting a wifi scanner app and doing a survey to see how many SSIDs are visible and what the channel utilization is.

we have lots of wifi in the neighborhood. Large houses with small yards so everyone is clustered together.

Everything that can use 5ghz is using it. Everything that can't is on 2.4ghz like smart plugs and 3d printer.

I did have a wifi scanner app for smart phones that worked pretty good. It was a paid version and it showed what channels everyone was using and I would adjust mine. I might have a actual wireless scanner at work I can borrow. I think we bought one for a one time project.

As an update. I turned off wifi on my printer and turned it back on about 2pm. Everyone was in the house and streaming like usual. The printer seems to be working fine and showing the video feed. It even pulled down an uodate.

Only changes I made was last night I noticed QOS was on in the Asus app and I turned that off. I also binded my printer to my router even though there is no Mesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!