What's new

No internet on 2.4ghz / Upgrade time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanatos

New Around Here
Hi Guys

I've been trawling the net trying to find the answer to this question but not having any luck. Hoping you clever bods might be able to help. I was also wondering if it's time to upgrade my network a bit, so kinda two questions in one here.

I have two Asus RT-n65u routers, one acting as the master and the other in AP mode, with Cat 5e cable between. Until about 2 weeks ago everything has been fine, other than the 5ghz network not really having the range for my house. However, it suddenly seems I can't get internet on the 2.4ghz. Internet is fine on both 5Ghz and wired, just not 2.4Ghz. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix? I can't think that I've added any new devices for a couple of months now. I've tried a factory reset of the mothership but nada.

Then separately, I've been wondering if it's time to upgrade the routers as they are getting a bit old. Thinking that a new router might possibly just fix the 2.4Ghz internet issue.

For a bit of background, my wireless devices are mostly capable of supporting AC although we possibly have a couple of devices that will only work on 2.4Ghz. Internet speed is around 25Mbs download (fibre), which appears limited by the distance to the cabinet, although Vodafone are saying they will guarantee 55Mbs having keyed in my address and postcode... Network is mostly used for internet browsing and 4K video streaming to one of the TVs (wired). There's also 1080p streaming to another wireless TV but rarely at the same time. House is reasonably large and garden is about 50m long, with an outbuilding at the end which has a TV and Amazon Echo in it (not yet connected). There's really not much gaming going on, although possibly will be in a few years time when the boys are a bit older - I have a Gamestream compatible setup.

Ultimately I'm looking to have the entire property covered by a stable WIFI connection and, where possible, increase speeds so I can add in a NAS with media, photos etc and be able to stream those to devices.

The good news is that I can run Cat 5e down to the outbuilding - it's apparently 'outdoor' stuff; shielded and full copper, plus I can pop it into some conduit.

I'm thinking I'll upgrade the "master" router and use the two N65u's as access points - one in the outbuilding and one in the house (possibly even in the loft, as I can get some cable up there too).

Firstly, I'm guessing AC is the answer, unless there's a reason to go AX now?

Main question is whether it's worth getting one of these super-duper routers like an AC3200 or would two AC1900 be a better bet - one in the house, one in the outbuilding and an N65u in the loft and another somewhere else in the house? AC3200 strikes me as most relevant for really high-demand usage so would be a waste of money.

A jumble of thoughts and questions, which is probably a good reflection of what's in my head right now. So anything anyone can do to clear the fog would be very much appreciated.

dont go for those old routers except you get them very cheap (maybe a used RT-AC68U) and upgrade in 2-3 years with AX routers when they will be reliable and everyday routers available for a good price.
Best you could do right now is one RT-AC86U which will be supported much longer and got a way faster hardware (than AC3200 or 68U), with SmartConnect and Aimesh for future use in your house. AC3200 not even got Aimesh, too old hardware!

Will you get a faster line in the next 5 years?
If not go for one or more 68U or RT-AC66U_B1 (B1 !!! which is an RT-AC68U in 66U housing) you can get in good used condition for about €/$60. They have Aimesh but no SmartConnect (=band and node steering).

Last edited:
Will you get a faster line in the next 5 years?
If not go for one or more 68U or RT-AC66U_B1 (B1 !!! which is an RT-AC68U in 66U housing) you can get in good used condition for about €/$60. Thay have Aimesh but no SmartConnect (=band and node steering).

Smart Connect is node band steering (not on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1).

Roaming Assistant is node steering.

OE

Thanks for the comments.

Smart connect seems to get a bit of a bad rap grin what I've read on here - nice in theory but not great in practice as the hand-off between bands doesn't appear to work too well. I also wonder whether the network is that heavily utilised in my house to make this a worthwhile feature, assuming it does work.

My understanding of AiMesh is that this is most relevant where there isn't a wired ethernet backbone available. In situations where the various routers have a wired connection, simply using in AP mode is sufficient. Or have a I missed something?

Looking at Amazon UK prices:

AC86U - Currently £177.99. Lowest recent £134.99
AC88U - Currently £227.48. Lowest recent £197.92
AC67U Twin Pack - Currently £179.99. Lowest recent £150.00
AX88U - Currently £299.99. Lowest recent £228.00

I guess you can see the attractiveness of the AC67U twin-pack from a pricing perspective.

I've assumed that non-Asus wouldn't be a good idea if I'm trying to use the N65U within the network?

Also, any ideas on why the 2.4G isn't sharing the internet connection??

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

Smart connect seems to get a bit of a bad rap grin what I've read on here - nice in theory but not great in practice as the hand-off between bands doesn't appear to work too well. I also wonder whether the network is that heavily utilised in my house to make this a worthwhile feature, assuming it does work.

My understanding of AiMesh is that this is most relevant where there isn't a wired ethernet backbone available. In situations where the various routers have a wired connection, simply using in AP mode is sufficient. Or have a I missed something?

Looking at Amazon UK prices:

AC86U - Currently £177.99. Lowest recent £134.99
AC88U - Currently £227.48. Lowest recent £197.92
AC68U Twin Pack - Currently £179.99. Lowest recent £150.00
AX88U - Currently £299.99. Lowest recent £228.00

I guess you can see the attractiveness of the AC68U twin-pack from a pricing perspective.

I've assumed that non-Asus wouldn't be a good idea if I'm trying to use the N65U within the network?

Also, any ideas on why the 2.4G isn't sharing the internet connection??

Smart Connect works here with my few wireless clients. It's not so much about 'handing off between bands' as it is about persuading the client to connect to the best band/connection when using the same SSID for both bands i.e., it's 'smarter' about it. So in the house, clients connect to 5.0 GHz, not 2.4 GHz; and as you move away outside, they switch to 2.4 GHz due to its better signal at distance. Without Smart Connect, your are at the mercy of the client to connect to the best signal/band when using same SSIDs or when the client is setup to connect to both band SSIDs. Stubborn clients can choose and stick to the worst connection (stronger 2.4G signal)... Smart Connect encourages them to make the best choice by (presumably) denying them the lessor connection.

Regarding AP mode vs. AiMesh, if you are going to buy ASUS routers, buy routers that support AiMesh (and Smart Connect) and then try both AP mode and AiMesh and decide for yourself which usage you like better.

AC1900 builds are rather old and tired and don't support Smart Connect, so I'd skip 'em.

The 86U is the ac value sweat spot, imo, and comes in a 2-pack.

Regarding your 2.4G 'not sharing the Internet', if you can' t isolate the problem, then reset and reconfigure the router. If a trusted 2.4G client can connect but not access the Internet, then maybe your router is defective. You could also try reflashing the latest firmware to see if that clears any weird issues.

OE

Smart Connect works here with my few wireless clients. It's not so much about 'handing off between bands' as it is about persuading the client to connect to the best band/connection when using the same SSID for both bands i.e., it's 'smarter' about it. So in the house, clients connect to 5.0 GHz, not 2.4 GHz; and as you move away outside, they switch to 2.4 GHz due to its better signal at distance. Without Smart Connect, your are at the mercy of the client to connect to the best signal/band when using same SSIDs or when the client is setup to connect to both band SSIDs. Stubborn clients can choose and stick to the worst connection (stronger 2.4G signal)... Smart Connect encourages them to make the best choice by (presumably) denying them the lessor connection.

Regarding AP mode vs. AiMesh, if you are going to buy ASUS routers, buy routers that support AiMesh (and Smart Connect) and then try both AP mode and AiMesh and decide for yourself which usage you like better.

AC1900 builds are rather old and tired and don't support Smart Connect, so I'd skip 'em.

The 86U is the ac value sweat spot, imo, and comes in a 2-pack.

Regarding your 2.4G 'not sharing the Internet', if you can' t isolate the problem, then reset and reconfigure the router. If a trusted 2.4G client can connect but not access the Internet, then maybe your router is defective. You could also try reflashing the latest firmware to see if that clears any weird issues.

OE

Thanks. Just noted your signature - you're definitely pimping out those AC86Us!

I guess it makes sense to get something with the Smart Connect. At the end of the day, I don't have to use it if it doesn't work and can just set up different SSIDs to manually control what clients go where.

For what it's worth, I've not really had any issues in being on the 2.4G signal even when streaming 4K. But that said, we're only going to see more and more wifi-enabled devices pulling more and more bandwidth so what the hell.

Will see if I can find the AC86U twin pack in the UK (no luck so far, although did find the single one at a slightly lower price).

Thanks for the suggestion on reflashing the firmware on the existing router. Will give that a try. I guess I could also have a look at switching the AP and mothership over, since that would be easy enough to do.

Thanks. Just noted your signature - you're definitely pimping out those AC86Us!

True, but I figure they are the sweet spot and it's a deal worth knowing here in the USA. My two 86Us 2/2018 from Micro Center plus an ASUS rebate cost me $280, so I've been a fan of any similar deal that comes close.

OE

Last edited:
2.4G internet now fixed. Swapped the AP-mode router with the main router, did a factory reset and reconfigured. Already on the latest firmware and didn't reflash. All working ok.

Will have another look at the "broken" router and see if that works in AP mode, if it needs reflashing or if it's relegated to acting as a wired-only router.

In terms of upgrade, I'll just keep an eye on prices and buy something when a deal looks good. If the ac86u ever comes down to around the £130 mark again, a couple of them would be ideal.

I also see there's an ac87u (these model names are confusing!) but based on the AC2400 class name, would appear to be a step down from the ac86u AC2900. Nothing like logic there!

Edit: Just read that the ac87u is probably best avoided. Looks like it'll be the ac86u in that case.

I also see there's an ac87u (these model names are confusing!) but based on the AC2400 class name, would appear to be a step down from the ac86u AC2900. Nothing like logic there!

Edit: Just read that the ac87u is probably best avoided. Looks like it'll be the ac86u in that case.
87U is old hardware much less performant than 86U with "troublesome" quantenna chipset, avoid whereever you see it!

Good job I waited. Amazon have just reduced the 86U to £133.49 and the 88U to £189.99!

Think I'll grab two of the 86U's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!