What's new

no more reinstalling and working on the asus 3100 I need something

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sparks

Occasional Visitor
I have had it with this router.
It seemed to work fine after reinstalling the firmware.
After about a week I am getting disconnects from the router to the modem.
I was blaming comcast and it may well be but they say no.
It just loses internet and then right back connected.
Today I lose the router connection to any device, its does not last long before I see the router again.

Its time to get something else.

My main thing is a strong and fast internet and intranet, secondary is wireless. I use it but not that much.
The 3100 testing with a tablet is not that good, 3 interior walls and its out.

thanks for any advice.
I do have one other question.
NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi.....
here its rated #1 but I have read that its not into V2 and not half as good as it was, any truth to this?

maybe the Netgear X6S.
I just don't know

Last edited:
sorry I was so mad messing with this thing when I posted. Its an Asus AC3100 ROUTER

I am totally giving up on this thing its 2 years old and last month it was dropping clients constantly. I redid the firmware and it ran about a week then showed constant check for updates (every 5 seconds) and unstable working. Last week I redid everything again and flashed it back to complete stock latest firmware, after a week I am losing both clients drop, connect over and over. Twice on my computer the router just disappeared, then came back after about 20 seconds. Something is Wrong and I need a replacement.

I forgot to mention I replaced this with an OLD netgear N600 to test and everything works perfect.

So it has to be a bad router.

Netgear has a NETGEAR R7900P X6S AC3000 for $95 (renewed). All I have ever seen is the 8000 X6S so this thing must be old or something.

Last edited:
Hi sparks. First off, have you tried flashing the latest version of Merlin onto your AC3100, then factory-resetting (twice for good measure) and re-configuring? If not, I would try that first, and see if it helps to stabilize your setup. That said, it likely won't solve the physical wifi limitation issues.

For beefier wifi and more stability, you could try another brand/model of all-in-one, but the challenges will still be the same and the result will only be as good as the internal components and firmware happen to be on that one box. It already sounds like you could benefit from having at least two or more discrete radios around the house, to increase your wifi signal penetration and coverage -- that isn't going to happen, of course, with another all-in-one. You probably want to look into a distributed wireless product, such as a wholehouse mesh system like Eero Pro or Netgear Orbi, both of which can use wire for backhaul if ethernet or MoCa over coax are available, or form a wireless point-to-point mesh if you don't have a wired backbone.

Beyond that, you may just want to move on to business-grade gear altogether, running discrete components for routing, switching and wifi. It's generally a better approach, as the sum of the parts usually ends up producing a way more robust network overall, but it does take a decent amount of skill to get setup properly. If you're comfortable flashing router firmwares, chances are you're probably capable enough to learn enough networking basics to enable you to setup this level of gear. I would look into products a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter (the ER-X or ER-4 or 12), plus an centralized, expandable wifi product such as Ubiquiti UniFi or TP-Link EAP (Omada). For optimal results, you want to use ethernet or MoCa over coax as a wired "backbone" in your house if you can, before having to resort to wireless mesh.

Hopefully one of the approaches above resonates with you. If so, I'm happy to offer more guidance in any direction of interest.

Last edited: