What's new

Node RT-AC86U Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deano_53

New Around Here
Hey Guys,

I now have two Asus RT AC-86U routers. Set up for Aimesh. I'm not exactly sure if I have everything right. For now, both of the routers are on the same floor of my house. When I look either on the web interface or on the App, I can see there are only three devices connected to the node. Is there a way to dedicate certain devices to stay connected to the node? I have a few Ring doorbells that stay on the 2.4 ghz and I would like to try to get them on the node. In all between Tv's, Rokus, Cellphones, iPad and other stuff, I probably have 15-20 devices. I have Greenlight for my internet which is supposed to deliver 500 up and 100 down. I'm in the mid 300' for the upload and around 50 for the download with one router. By adding the 2nd router and a node, should that help increase my speeds. I also have an old Netgear extender. Should I keep that connected or just use the routers?

Thanks,

Deano

Hey Guys,

I now have two Asus RT AC-86U routers. Set up for Aimesh. I'm not exactly sure if I have everything right. For now, both of the routers are on the same floor of my house. When I look either on the web interface or on the App, I can see there are only three devices connected to the node. Is there a way to dedicate certain devices to stay connected to the node? I have a few Ring doorbells that stay on the 2.4 ghz and I would like to try to get them on the node. In all between Tv's, Rokus, Cellphones, iPad and other stuff, I probably have 15-20 devices. I have Greenlight for my internet which is supposed to deliver 500 up and 100 down. I'm in the mid 300' for the upload and around 50 for the download with one router. By adding the 2nd router and a node, should that help increase my speeds. I also have an old Netgear extender. Should I keep that connected or just use the routers?

Thanks,

Deano

There is a client MAC blocking facility in the router webUI to keep clients from roaming... I presume you must set it when the client is connected to the desired node. And reset it when you re-configure your Aimesh... it may not be worth the trouble for a few IoT clients.

I would wire a PC to the router to determine a benchmark speedtest.net result.

A wireless backhaul from the node can affect its speedtest.net result for both wired and wireless clients at the node. You can inspect the router Wireless Log to determine wireless backhaul Tx Rx rates for the backhaul MACs. Wireless backhaul distance/route can affect these rates.

I would setup the router and assess performance. Then add the node and compare performance. I would leave the extender out of the equation... a 2x86U AiMesh can cover a very large area.

I would disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs and fixed channels (see my notes below) to better control your WLANs and wireless clients and to avoid the negative affects of Auto channel scanning.

OE

After reading through this a few times, I'm trying to digest your reply but admittedly much if this is way over my head. I don't remember setting anything in the UI to keep the clients from roaming. The speed test when wired to the router is pretty good, but not significantly better then wireless. I'm using a Mac laptop.
I don't know what wireless back-haul means or TX RX .

Is there a benefit of setting up separate SSID's?

Thanks,
Deano

There is a client MAC blocking facility in the router webUI to keep clients from roaming... I presume you must set it when the client is connected to the desired node. And reset it when you re-configure your Aimesh... it may not be worth the trouble for a few IoT clients.

A wireless backhaul from the node can affect its speedtest.net result for both wired and wireless clients at the node. You can inspect the router Wireless Log to determine wireless backhaul Tx Rx rates for the backhaul MACs. Wireless backhaul distance/route can affect these rates.

I would setup the router and assess performance. Then add the node and compare performance. I would leave the extender out of the equation... a 2x86U AiMesh can cover a very large area.

I would disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs and fixed channels (see my notes below) to better control your WLANs and wireless clients and to avoid the negative affects of Auto channel scanning.

OE

OE

After reading through this a few times, I'm trying to digest your reply but admittedly much if this is way over my head. I don't remember setting anything in the UI to keep the clients from roaming. The speed test when wired to the router is pretty good, but not significantly better then wireless. I'm using a Mac laptop.
I don't know what wireless back-haul means or TX RX .

Is there a benefit of setting up separate SSID's?

Thanks,
Deano

The router webUI Wireless/Roaming Block List allows setting client MACs to not roam.

I would expect a ISP speed test wired to the router (at Gigabit Ethernet) to match ISP nominal speeds down/up. Check the router webUI Status of the Ethernet ports to confirm the Mac laptop is wired at 1 Gbps.

An AiMesh node uses a wired or wireless backhaul to connect to its router. If wireless, you can inspect the backhaul transmit/receive rates (Tx/Rx) in the router webUI Wireless Log. These rates decrease with distance and obstacles and will affect speed tests performed from node clients.

OE