What's new

Noisy DS212J

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netmask254

New Around Here
Just got a DS212J but found it a bit noisy to me though it's anounce as very quiet. I only installed single WB Green disk and the fan mode is already configured as "Silent". The fan noise (rather than the disk noise) is clearly audible from 1 meter away with an annoying humming noise somewhat like resonance.

Some questions:
1 Is there any method to read the fan speed?

2 What's the fan control scheme of Synology NAS? For example, after changed fan mode from "Silent" to "Power Saving", I can't experience any difference on noise level. Is there much fan speed difference between each mode?

3 I'm going to replace the default 9cm fan with a better one (even if violating the warranty). Has any one done something before?

annoying humming noise somewhat like resonance.

I had the same kind of noise with my DS1010+

Does the noise disappear if you lift it off the table/shelf that it is on and hold it in the air?

If it does try my suggestion below:-

From what I could gather, the 'rubber' feet may be made from a fairly hard substance and it allows the noise to transfer through to the table/shelf that the NAS is on
The table/shelf is acting like a sound board making the noise louder than it actually is

I isolated this noise by putting the NAS on top of 1 cm thick polystyrene strips

ntm1275, thanks very much for your suggestion!

I tried but it doesn't work in my case, maybe because I simply placed DS212J on ground. However, I found an interesting difference, i.e. if I press my hands on both side (with certain pressure to the center), then the annoying humming noise disappear and the overall noise level is significantly lower. Therefore, I think it's a structure vibration problem since DS212J is composed by two plastic pieces.

I will move on check this issue by lowering down the fan speed or use rubber to mount the fan.

If that is the case then it is not a Fan problem but a vibration problem, which is a lot worst since it damage the HDD.

Oh BTW where did you bought it and how much was it?

I have almost resolved this vibration issue by reinstalling the fan using rubber mounts, as detailed described in below link. It's a lot better but not perfectly silent, thus I'm going to replace the fan with a Noctua B9 with the similar spec (1600rpm, while the original is 1800rpm max) some time later.
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43354

It was bought in China local market and cost me ~280 dollars (generally it's more expensive in China since the price already includes the tax).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!