What's new

NordVPN DNS Leaking - Default Server showing 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scamper82

Occasional Visitor
I have set up OPENVPN with NordVPN as per attached doc
VPN status on website showing as i have protected status but its leaking DNS when i check DNSleaktest
i have been on with there team and they have checked all merlin settings and we also tried all versions of Accept DNS Configuration but it is not resolving correctly and picking up there backup servers and not the correct routing to the UK side. the same vpn file worked before upgrading.

They are now saying nothing else they can do and to downgrade fw (yes to test)

as part of the debugging i reset factory settings.

current setup is
VPN1 active, (tried relaxed, strict and exclusive) and redirect all (will do policy based when all working)
WAN dns settings as per there docs and showing selected under wan - dns settings
DHCP server settings blank
DNS filter off

Hope links are ok, this is there doc, its for older FW but idea is same

Consider the following before delving in too deeply w/ online DNS leak testing tools and outright speculation.

It seems that when the DNS addresses are set in WAN it does not work, but i set Service Name: Quad9 and its now working fine and no DNS leak (granted its via dnsleaktest but i havnt had time to learn the above. as im not trying to deal with the random drop outs for

kernel: CONSOLE: 021764.738 wl0: wlc_ampdu_recv_addba_resp: {MACADRESS changes}: Failed. status 1 wsize 64 policy 1
then wifi resets after so long.
chears, i will keep it in mind

The reason I suggested that link is that your DNS configuration has to be considered from two (2) different perspectives. Both locally (something which you do control) and remotely (something which you do NOT control).

IOW, I can't be sure whether anyone does or doesn't have a DNS leak until I can first verify the former (something no online leaktest tool can do). Once I know it's correct locally, THEN I can consider the latter in context. And if the latter reports a DNS leak, it must be due to something that happened *after* the DNS request left the router (again, something which you do NOT control).

To approach it any other way is to simply place all your faith in the online leaktest tool, which may or may NOT be accurate. And even if accurate, may be something out of your control.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!