What's new

Nordvpn IPTV and Buffering with IPTV.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
Hello I was wondering when I turn on Nordvpn with my IPTV I get lots of Buffering. When off it disappears. I have it set up on the VPN client in AC 86u using Merlin. I live in outside Toronto and using the recommended server that Nordvpn recommends. I was wondering if there is anything else I may be missing?? I did follow the instructions to the T. Thanks in advance. I did see someone here make a script for Nord but I do not know how to run it or copy and paste it in the terminal. Also do I really need a VPN with IPTV???

VPNs introduce latency, and performance will vary between servers and the time of day. It's just what it is.

Since you are running set up policy routing to see if you can get the IPTV to bypass the VPN tunnel. Also there is the option to have certain applications bypass the VPN.

Try changing vpn servers, use UDP protocol instead of TCP. Run a continuous ping through the tunnel, see if you get packet loss / variable latency, etc

Try changing vpn servers, use UDP protocol instead of TCP. Run a continuous ping through the tunnel, see if you get packet loss / variable latency, etc

I am using UDP as thats suppose to be the fastest and how do I ping through Tunnel? I live in Canada should I keep the server in Canada or change to USA? Sorry I am new to this VPN thing

Can you watch IPTV on a system that can be directly configured to NordVPN to test?

I.E.

Scenario 1:
- VPN end point is at the router
- Router has to do all processing
- Result - buffering

Scenario 2:
- VPN end point is a PC
- PC does all the processing, router simply routes (and does NAT as always)
- Result = ?

If Scenario 2 result is different than 1, problem would seem to be at the router, VPN processing, throughput what have you
If Scenario 2 result is identical, I suggest switching to a different NordVPN node (hopefully one that is less busy) to compare and see if the result is better. Once you find a VPN node that works, re-enable VPN on the router using the node identified in Scenario 2.

Good luck.

Can you watch IPTV on a system that can be directly configured to NordVPN to test?

I.E.

Scenario 1:
- VPN end point is at the router
- Router has to do all processing
- Result - buffering

Scenario 2:
- VPN end point is a PC
- PC does all the processing, router simply routes (and does NAT as always)
- Result = ?

If Scenario 2 result is different than 1, problem would seem to be at the router, VPN processing, throughput what have you
If Scenario 2 result is identical, I suggest switching to a different NordVPN node (hopefully one that is less busy) to compare and see if the result is better. Once you find a VPN node that works, re-enable VPN on the router using the node identified in Scenario 2.

Good luck.

I watch IPTV via Nvidia shield.

Buffering could also be a problem with the IPTV provider. Do you get buffering on your shield if not connected to VPN? If on wireless, could be a weak wireless signal, congestion on wireless channel, etc. I use an app called "ping tools" on my android box which can scan the wireless networks, test latency and jitter, run ping tests, etc

Edit: buffering has so many potential causes, it is best to rule out the most obvious sources of the issue, have it work flawlessly, then introduce vpn into the mix

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!