What's new

Normal DL speeds, very slow Upload speeds on wifi. RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deereynolds

Occasional Visitor
This is my first time installing any version of Merlin. Im coming from the latest RT-N66U stock FW. I flashed RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 without issue. Everything works wonderful, wired speeds are great. Wired is 120/40.

But for some reason Im getting very slow upload speeds on wifi. DL is normal at 120mbps+ but upload is very slow at 6-10mbps. The stock fw was max speed at 40mbps on wifi. Just curious if it could but this latest build or something Im doing wrong. I also gave the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-06Ej9527 fork a try and its the same thing.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Did you do a reset to factory defaults and then manually enter all setup info? Did you use a new ssid or remove and re-associate on every device you have the original ssid?

Try simply using a new ssid first and if that doesn't improve things, I think a reset will be mandatory.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults and then manually enter all setup info? Did you use a new ssid or remove and re-associate on every device you have the original ssid?

Try simply using a new ssid first and if that doesn't improve things, I think a reset will be mandatory.

Yes.. I've tried factory reset, Ive tried NV ram reset, hard reset, I forgot all wireless SSIDs and manually re-entered all info. I've done it multiple times on both Merlin builds. I just flashed back to stock and now the upload speeds are slow with stock FW too. Im stumped now.

I originally had a Buffalo 2.4ghz router with dd-wrt on it. I wanted to test the N66U first, so I setup the N66U as an access point. The N66u was definitely getting 120/40 on wifi, I just checked with my speedtest history. After I verified everything worked perfectly I disconnected the Buffalo and put the N66u in its place. I reset the N66u and flashed Merlin. I thought everything was working great but then I noticed the upload wireless speed was 1/3 of what it was.

Do you think its possible that I was getting better speeds because it was an access point? The only change I had made was making the N66U my main router, I figured things would run even better.

Do you have QOS enabled? If so, try it disabled and see if it helps.

Do you have QOS enabled? If so, try it disabled and see if it helps.

QOS is disabled. Thanks for the suggestion.

It has to be interference of some kind. I moved the router back to the location where it was as an access point and the speeds seems to be back to normal. Its on the other side of my desk, no more than 8 ft. Something must be messing with the signal. I just dont understand why I would still get full DL speeds?! I ruled out interference because of that. Lesson learned, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Fluorescent light (energy saving bulb)?

Yes, I have two surrounding the router. :) Just shut them both off but the speeds are the same.

Weird, I dont get it. The speeds are still not where they were. They're a little better but not 120/40.. Im getting 120down but upload is spotty. Maybe I'll try moving it into another room. Hmm. I want my 40. ;)

One last suggestion.....replace the Ethernet cable between router and modem (I'm assuming you're measuring speed to the internet)....Cat5e or Cat6.

Try a different one even if the current one is brand new :)

EDIT: Also I forgot if you tried this or not....since you are replacing an existing router did you reset your ISP info by powering down your modem for at least 15 miniutes?

Last edited:
One last suggestion.....replace the Ethernet cable between router and modem (I'm assuming you're measuring speed to the internet)....Cat5e or Cat6.

Try a different one even if the current one is brand new :)

EDIT: Also I forgot if you tried this or not....since you are replacing an existing router did you reset your ISP info by powering down your modem for at least 15 miniutes?

I use a cat5 from the modem to the router and cat6 to all of my pcs. Thats the way I had it hooked up with the Buffalo too. I tried the cat6 from the modem to the router but I get the same speeds.

Also, yes I powered down my modem for a while, multiple times. lol. :)

I thought I fixed it for a second because one of the antennas felt loose, but no dice. Its tighter, but the upload is still spotty.

Idk, what else to try. I'll have to hook up the Buffalo as the main and the Asus as an AP like I had it before as a test. I cant imagine that would be the issue, though. Maybe I messed up my antennas with all of this moving around?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Did you try deleting the wireless profiles on the clients and recreating them? (they actually contain info about the SSIDs they are connecting to)

We'll eventually get through documenting everything in one place:)

Did you try deleting the wireless profiles on the clients and recreating them? (they actually contain info about the SSIDs they are connecting to)

We'll eventually get through documenting everything in one place:)

Yes.. :) I even made new ssid names on the router and forgot the old ssids on the phone. No go.

We'll eventually get through documenting everything in one place
Finally!

I hooked up the Buffalo router and turned the N66u into an access point.. Same thing, crappy upload speeds. So at least that answered one of my questions.

But I started to play around with the 5ghz radio.. I set it to 40mhz and changed the channel to 153. I could have sworn I tried that numerous times after I started having the problem but who knows.. BAM.. 40mbps upload screams. :)

I set the n66u back up as the primary router changed the settings to 40hz and channel 153 and my wifi 40mbps upload is back and screaming! :D :D

Thanks for your help. Figured I'd give you the update since you helped me so much. :)