What's new

Not Reliably Receiving Alerts for "Watched" forums.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,
I used to reliably receive alerts (the little bell up on the right-hand bar) when new posts were posted to a "watched" forum. Now, sometimes I do, but other times I'll see nothing but when I check the forum there's a number of new posts. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Anton

@AntonK you may want to delete those 'watched' forum notifications and try adding them again. With the forum update, maybe not all settings transferred fully?

(With the new forum update, I have deleted all 'watched' forums as I was getting too many notifications. But I also read all the forum posts anyway).

@AntonK you may want to delete those 'watched' forum notifications and try adding them again. With the forum update, maybe not all settings transferred fully?

(With the new forum update, I have deleted all 'watched' forums as I was getting too many notifications. But I also read all the forum posts anyway).
Thanks, I'll do that.

Anton

And if it doesn't work directly, try deleting them, close down the browser you're using (not just minimizing it), and wait a minute before launching it again to add the forums you're interested in (caching issues and such!).

This just happened to me in the last week or so…. My “alerts” comes up empty … it usually at least displays recent alerts, even if there aren’t any new/un-viewed alerts to display.

Anyone else?

This happens to me occasionally as well.

Since the last update there is a bug in new posts display - on a PC I'm logged in a thread with new posts shows the number of posts correctly and the last post is there. If I log out though and refresh the main page the thread shows the number of posts correctly, but the last post is missing.

Here is an example of the bug above:

Logged out, the last post in the thread is made by user Kendo:

1681486246006.png

But the last post visible is this:

1681486161594.png

Logged in, the last post becomes visible:

1681486334754.png

This started happening after server maintenance few weeks back, @thiggins.

Seems not browser related - the same on Chrome, Safari, Edge. I don't use Firefox.

The cause is a change in the newer version of xenForo. There is a 5 minute cache for guests (users not logged in). So, feature, not a bug.

The cause is a change in the newer version of xenForo. There is a 5 minute cache for guests (users not logged in). So, feature, not a bug.
I'm always logged in and I still, every so often, lose notifications for threads I'm "watching".

I don't rely on 'alerts', I'm interested in all threads and topics.

I simply click the 'New posts' link to see what I haven't read yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!