What's new

NTP (an hour back)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iManuB

Regular Contributor
I can not understand why the clock of my Asus Router, is an hour back.

Right now the time si 19.55, but the router marks the 18.55.

I'm in Italy and the server name is pool.ntp.org and the time zone is GTM+1 Rome, Vienna, Bern

It's a Bug?

Thanks so much!

Daylight savings settings.
e38acd25967101d3abf8ef8ff4a22abe.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does not help if the timezone is out because of sommer/winter time setting on the router.
NTP servers only sync the time in UTC, no matter what location you are in or what zone server you use.
The ajustment is done by the device and it's setting.
So, setting the correct timezone and when it changes DST is the important part.
But since DST settings are way outdated on Asus routers, you have to manually set it to your countries setting.

Thanks for the answers.

Manually, using SSH, do not have a command to let me set the time?

Because on October 29 (Winter Time), it will take an hour back (and as a result the router will go back two hours)

No need. Setting it to 5 works when only 4 Sundays in the month too :)

Hmm, I did not know that, so basically it will "recognize" if there's no 5th Sunday for that month and trigger it earlier?

Hmm, I did not know that, so basically it will "recognize" if there's no 5th Sunday for that month and trigger it earlier?

Yep. Tested!

You really think Asus would have router’s out there this long that can’t do european DST!?

Yep. Tested!

You really think Asus would have router’s out there this long that can’t do european DST!?

Heh, that's nice of them :)

That does not help if the timezone is out because of sommer/winter time setting on the router.
NTP servers only sync the time in UTC, no matter what location you are in or what zone server you use.
The ajustment is done by the device and it's setting.
So, setting the correct timezone and when it changes DST is the important part.
But since DST settings are way outdated on Asus routers, you have to manually set it to your countries setting.
I have always used it that way and summer/vinter has working fine and update.

Thanks for the answers.

Manually, using SSH, do not have a command to let me set the time?

Because on October 29 (Winter Time), it will take an hour back (and as a result the router will go back two hours)
For CET Central European Time, set it to:
GMT+01:00
3, 5th, Sun, 2 and
10, 5th, Sun, 2

I have always used it that way and summer/vinter has working fine and update.
As I said, it does not matter if you use it.pool.ntp.org or simply pool.ntp.org. The time sent is always in UTC.
You must have set your DST settings right, this is the important part.

Yep. Tested!

It can't even do USA DST. Setting US timezones produces the rule of 2nd Sunday in October for the end of DST, but it was changed by Congress to the 1st Sunday in November over 12 years ago.

It can't even do USA DST. Setting US timezones produces the rule of 2nd Sunday in October for the end of DST, but it was changed by Congress to the 1st Sunday in November over 12 years ago.

Setting the time zone drop down has no effect on the DST settings from what I’ve seen. You always have to set DST manually. So just set it to 1st Sunday in Nov and you’re done! So, yes it can do USA DST, like any device you just have to configure it properly. It could be made more user friendly it who cares!

It could be made more user friendly it who cares!

It's the first piece of software I've encountered in over 30 years of working in IT that allows the user to configure timezones, but does not configure the corresponding DST. It seems like in most operating systems you would have to actually do extra work to exclude DST.

It's the first piece of software I've encountered in over 30 years of working in IT that allows the user to configure timezones, but does not configure the corresponding DST. It seems like in most operating systems you would have to actually do extra work to exclude DST.

Plenty I’ve found that either don’t support it at all, or are fixed to an incorrect/old standard. I work in telecoms and so getting correct time on my servers is critical for correct billing records - I’ve lost count of how many times some stupid bit of software/OS trying to be too clever has meant re-time-stamping millions of records that are an hour out! Happens every year twice a year without failure! As a result when I set systems up (that are time critical for billing etc) I always force them to UTC all the time and then you can adjust from that known constant after the fact easily.

I personally like that Asus uses an antiquated method as it means you can always set it to fit whatever your local Government have decided it should be this decade!

I personally like that Asus uses an antiquated method as it means you can always set it to fit whatever your local Government have decided it should be this decade!

It's fine as long as the user is made aware. I discovered it much like OP, just by accident. In my particular case it wasn't a big deal, but I've had the nightmare of dealing with critical records from misconfigured servers in multiple timezones.