What's new

NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@kvic,

The script on github still hasn't been fixed.

Adding the extra quote fixed it.

Also, in the Uninstall section, the following command needs a "/" before jffs
  • rm jffs/etc/ntp.conf

Changed. Thanks for reporting!

Another question I have is if's preferable to only use 3 time servers or if there's any benefit to add more?

Very happy to hear you enjoy the stuff. I recall seeing the NTP author recommended seven servers. It's okay to add as many as you like. I have eight on my setup (7 IPv4 1 IPv6). At the minimum, I suggest you to have three: NTP's algorithm will pick one as primary and two as backup and the rest will be on waiting list.

Nevertheless, the quality of servers i.e. small "delay" and "jitter" is more crucial. You can check by "/jffs/bin/ntpq -pn" and look at the columns.

Done and available from Github. Sorry for the much delay :)
Sorry, but the freshly downloaded ntpstats.sh script (ARM version) is still broken on Github... :rolleyes:

admin@RT-AC87U:/jffs/bin# diff ntpstats.sh ntpstats.sh.fixed
--- ntpstats.sh
+++ ntpstats.sh.fixed
@@ -37,7 +37,7 @@

export TZ=`cat /etc/TZ`

-DATE=`date "+%a %b %e %H:%M %Y`
+DATE=`date "+%a %b %e %H:%M %Y"`

COMMON='-c SHADEA#475A5F -c SHADEB#475A5F -c BACK#475A5F -c CANVAS#92A0A520 -c AXIS#92a0a520 -c FONT#ffffff -c ARROW#475A5F -n TITLE:10 -n AXIS:9 -g -w 525 -h 175'

@joegreat Which file did you download? The new package file is ntpd_stats-arm-R3.tar.gz.

People can get from this page: https://github.com/kvic-z/goodies-asuswrt
Ahhh, ... I see! :rolleyes:

But maybe you should then also update the Installation Guide - it still references the r2 version... ;)

Sorry, but r3 has also an error in ntpstats.sh:
chief@RT-AC87U:/jffs/bin# ./ntpstats.sh
ERROR: opening '/stats.rrd': No such file or directory

Looks like line no. 35 is causing the error as the variable DBPATH is not defined - maybe you mismatched the variable with defined RDB at line 16 - at least using RDB is not causing an error anymore... :cool:

Update: Line 35 need to look like this to work ${RRD_BIN}/rrdtool update ${RDB} \

Last edited:
Sorry, but r3 has also an error in ntpstats.sh:
chief@RT-AC87U:/jffs/bin# ./ntpstats.sh
ERROR: opening '/stats.rrd': No such file or directory

Looks like line no. 35 is causing the error as the variable DBPATH is not defined - maybe you mismatched the variable with defined RDB at line 16 - at least using RDB is not causing an error anymore... :cool:

Doh! You're right. I didn't test the data snapping portion of the code. That's why...

A side note: In my local setup, I've separated the script into two scripts. One for data snapping and one for graphing. The graphing script will be run on demand and generate graphs to ramdisk when the page is loaded in lighttpd. Some variables are changed... I've to piece together to create this single script for the R3 package.

Guess I've to update and make another upload. Meanwhile, anyone using R3 take note of @joegreat finding in #146.

I installed the NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin today. It seems to be working ok but i just wanted to look at it so i ran the following command as root and got the following back.
/root# ntpq -p
-sh: ntpq: not found

Anyone know what i forgot to do or need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

I installed the NTP Daemon for ASUSWRT/Merlin today. It seems to be working ok but i just wanted to look at it so i ran the following command as root and got the following back.
/root# ntpq -p

Anyone know what i forgot to do or need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

Try 'ntpd' :rolleyes:

...but i just wanted to look at it so i ran the following command as root and got the following back.
/root# ntpq -p
You need to learn what PATH mean in Linux... :rolleyes:

If you are not in the folder of the ntpq binary file you need to use:
chief@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/bin/ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
==============================================================================
+fetchmail.media 193.171.23.163 2 u 45m 1024 164 27.283 19.172 25.149
*ts1.aco.net .PZF. 1 u 494 1024 377 13.828 -2.668 22.869
ntp.cnh.at .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
+manage.mediainv 131.130.251.107 2 u 413 1024 41 25.889 -6.132 12.591

If you in the folder where ntpq is installed you have to use:
admin@RT-AC87U:/jffs/bin# ./ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
==============================================================================
+fetchmail.media 193.171.23.163 2 u 45m 1024 164 27.283 19.172 25.149
*ts1.aco.net .PZF. 1 u 506 1024 377 13.828 -2.668 22.869
ntp.cnh.at .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
+manage.mediainv 131.130.251.107 2 u 425 1024 41 25.889 -6.132 12.591

...but i just wanted to look at it so i ran the following command as root and got the following back.
/root# ntpq -p

Thank you very much.
This worked great. Thanks again

I've upgraded to R3-1, but dont't get the nice, darker colour theme in the webUI.

I uninstalled everything completely, and then reinstalled it according to the instructions. The good news are that all of the previous hiccups are gone, no workarounds are needed any longer. But I still have the same old yellowish graphs and not the new orange ones.

Edit: Silly me, the web browser still had the old .css colour code cached.

I decided to leave this post in case someone else is scratching their head. :oops:

I must be dumb, I am certainly a noob but following the installation guide, when I enter 'ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz' in step 3 for an ARM router, I get ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz not found. What can I do?

I must be dumb, I am certainly a noob but following the installation guide, when I enter 'ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz' in step 3 for an ARM router, I get ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz not found. What can I do?

Just made correction in Step 3 (replaced "ntpd_stats-arm-R2.tar.gz" with "ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz" in the wget URL).

Sorry, but I still get "ntpd_stats-arm-R3-1.tar.gz not found".

Everything up to this point went well, but don't seem to be able to get this all important file.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Sorted! I've got it working, graphs and all. Sorry to have been a pain, steep learning curve for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
One more question though.

Do I still have to keep the NTP server entry in the Admin page, or can I delete it?

Thanks again.

Do I still have to keep the NTP server entry in the Admin page, or can I delete it?
You should delete it by all means: What does a secure DNS help if the router can fall back to the default insecure one??? :confused:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!