What's new

NTP server for WAN clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damit1

Hi there

So Im using asus as NTP server for LAN clients without any problem- if I want it to use it for WAN clients, is it possible?
I cannot find a way to make it work, and Window clients cannot sync.

Thank you

Not unless you're hosting your NTP server on the www.

What is the purpose of this? Give us detailed and specific reasons and use cases.

A client that is not in the same LAN network as the router is.
So not remote clients on the internet or over a VPN for example, but a client on an upstream private network.

AFAICT all you need to do is add an ACCEPT rule to the INPUT table, or alternatively just create a port forwarding rule.

EDIT: The router's NTP server appears to bind to the LAN interface so access would have to be through port forwarding.

Last edited:
So not remote clients on the internet or over a VPN for example, but a client on an upstream private network.

AFAICT all you need to do is add an ACCEPT rule to the INPUT table, or alternatively just create a port forwarding rule.

A pc, or PCs on another remote network, that has no VPN whatsoever to this network, and I want to use ASUS as NTP server - easier than remembering all the other NTP servers Im using.

Which rule should I make? It shouls be forwarded to the router itself I guess, would it work?

A pc, or PCs on another remote network, that has no VPN whatsoever to this network, ...
If you are talking about remote access from the internet that would not be a good idea. You could lock down the source IP address if the remote client's IP doesn't change. But a plastic router running an NTP server connected to a domestic internet feed is never going to as good as something like time.cloudflare.com or time.windows.com.

If you are talking about remote access from the internet that would not be a good idea. You could lock down the source IP address if the remote client's IP doesn't change. But a plastic router running an NTP server connected to a domestic internet feed is never going to as good as something like time.cloudflare.com or time.windows.com.

Ok, possible, would lock it to a specific IP.
What should I do exactly to make it work?

Any reason to re-invent this wheel, (again)?

Why not use time.cloudflare.com and time.windows.com?
well, if they're looking for ways to synchronise 2 geographically disparate computers/networks/systems, there's always the option of using the time from the biggest ntp pool of Stratum 1 atomic clocks that I'm aware of and that we're all under and have access to: the GPS/GLONASS constellations. if his computer and the other computer can reliably see the sky, he can get GPS receivers for them both and derive clock from the GPS signals they each receive.

If you look back to the beginnings of where @Jack Yaz 's ntpMerlin script started, this is exactly what some people did. military and commercial vessels alike use it for navigation...and they tend to like precision and efficiency

You could always enable DDNS, something like the built in Asus DDNS. I would also consider then to install @Jack Yaz ntpMerlin addon selecting chrony as the ntp server.
Use port forwarding to allow UDP port 123 to forward to the router.
Finally point your WAN devices ntp client to the DDNS name you setup.