What's new

NTP service wakes my NAS HDDs from sleep every hour?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bengan

New Around Here
RT-AC66U:

Unfortunately the new NTP service in later firmware from both Asus and Merlin seems to be responsible for waking up my Synology NAS hard-drives from sleep at the start of every hour.

Is there anything I can do about this or am I doomed to use old firmware forever?

If I revert back to Asus 3.0.0.4_376_1123 (the latest old one I have saved that I know works) then the problem is fixed and my NAS stays asleep for days if not accessed.

Any help appreciated!

There was a similar thread where the DHCP lease time was really short (1 hour) as the synology would have to wake up to write the new lease expiration to disk...

Maybe something similar going on here?

There was a similar thread where the DHCP lease time was really short (1 hour) as the synology would have to wake up to write the new lease expiration to disk...

Maybe something similar going on here?

Yes, that’s what I'm thinking as well. DHCP is not the problem though because I have a fixed IP set in both the NAS and Router (also, lease time is 1 day as per default I belive).

The reason I suspect NTP is because the Asus firmware had a bug giving an NTP event message in the system log and that’s when my NAS keeps waking up!

I don't think it's related to NTP, but to changes in the networkmap polling service. A similar problem was found with waking up printers and Merlin tried a few fixes, but so far hasn't been able to come up with a solution. If you do a search, you should be able to find the threads.

I don't think it's related to NTP, but to changes in the networkmap polling service. A similar problem was found with waking up printers and Merlin tried a few fixes, but so far hasn't been able to come up with a solution. If you do a search, you should be able to find the threads.
Thanks for the info!

But does the networkmap always poll exactly at the start of every hour and only then?

I have set the time to 30 min inactivity before the drives spin down and I can see them stop every hour, stand still for 25-30 min (or whatever is left until the hour changes) and then always wake up exactly after the clock has switched to next hour.

So whatever is waking them up is only running at the start of an hour and never more than that, otherwise the countdown would reset and move forward so the drives wouldn't spin down at all.

Thanks for the info!

But does the networkmap always poll exactly at the start of every hour and only then?

I have set the time to 30 min inactivity before the drives spin down and I can see them stop every hour, stand still for 25-30 min (or whatever is left until the hour changes) and then always wake up exactly after the clock has switched to next hour.

So whatever is waking them up is only running at the start of an hour and never more than that, otherwise the countdown would reset and move forward so the drives wouldn't spin down at all.

... the networkmap process restart itself only a few seconds after having been killed ..... (I could see that by scripting a "killing" loop in a .sh), but indeed in my case the polling takes place 1 every hour, since my HDD go down after 10 min. of inactivity.

Last edited: