What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried this yesterday, after installing it. i run the skynet firewall, (just ran firewall) and it locked up in this part of its script

ntptimer=0
while [ "$(nvram get ntp_ready)" = "0" ] && [ "$ntptimer" -lt "300" ]; do
ntptimer=$((ntptimer+1))
sleep 1
done

i haven't looked but it seems that the variable ntp_ready isn't set when it starts up?

Also after installing ntpMerlin, the crontab rules that Skynet installed were removed.

Last edited:
Hmm, odd. I’ll dig out my old version. I’m sure all I did was move the existing button, maybe I changed what it called too.
Sadly no lighttpd.conf.add option in @RMerlin custom config list as you could then probably change the config to disable caching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asuswrt uses a proprietary httpd daemon for the webui, it does not use lighttpd.

Rebooting is a numnum Microsoft wool-over-the-eyes solution to cover up real problems that are not solved. :D :p
<SNIP>
Maybe I'm just a stubborn old geek. :rolleyes:

keep fist shaking at those who aren't as interested in stability as they are shiny and you'll live forever

• If there is a redundant ntpmerlin cron job, delete the top one
  • Might as well delete the redundant top line in /jffs/scripts/services-start as well
  • Or just update ntpMerlin to v1.0.10 when it drops
  • There was never a data/graphing issue. I am a Chrome user who had never checked back with the NTP graphs more frequently than hourly. I can confirm that only CTRL-F5 will allow you to see the NTP graphs after they update every five minutes.

I tried this yesterday, after installing it. i run the skynet firewall, (just ran firewall) and it locked up in this part of its script

ntptimer=0
while [ "$(nvram get ntp_ready)" = "0" ] && [ "$ntptimer" -lt "300" ]; do
ntptimer=$((ntptimer+1))
sleep 1
done

i haven't looked but it seems that the variable ntp_ready isn't set when it starts up?

Also after installing ntpMerlin, the crontab rules that Skynet installed were removed.
  • There is an NTP client that comes out of the box.
  • The NTP client is not removed when ntpMerlin (NTP server) is installed.
  • NTP client is stopped when ntpMerlin is started.
  • The ntptimer code snippet is related to NTP client but not related to ntpMerlin
  • If ntp_ready does not get set to 1, then NTP client was not able to synchronize with the NTP server which you configured in Administration > System > Basic Config > NTP Server
  • The ntpMerlin v1.0.9 upgrade did not impact other cron entries in my case and I have not seen any reports of this other than yours

• There is an NTP client that comes out of the box.
  • The NTP client is not removed when ntpMerlin (NTP server) is installed.
  • NTP client is stopped when ntpMerlin is started.
  • The ntptimer code snippet is related to NTP client but not related to ntpMerlin
  • If ntp_ready does not get set to 1, then NTP client was not able to synchronize with the NTP server which you configured in Administration > System > Basic Config > NTP Server
  • The ntpMerlin v1.0.9 upgrade did not impact other cron entries in my case and I have not seen any reports of this other than yours

i rebooted and then the skynet stuff would not start
i turned on filtering to force all clients to use the router as the time server. i'll try it out again latter today

i rebooted and then the skynet stuff would not start
i turned on filtering to force all clients to use the router as the time server. i'll try it out again latter today
I noticed the same thing happening too. No Skynet when I reboot via GUI. If I do a hard reboot with the button on the back of the router then everything boots fine.

I noticed the same thing happening too. No Skynet when I reboot via GUI. If I do a hard reboot with the button on the back of the router then everything boots fine.
Okay thanks for confirming. going to wait for the next update then try again.

Something new with v1.0.9. Not causing any issues as I can see, just a heads up in case it is important. I edited out all the other syslog entries, just for clarity.
Code:
Mar 26 16:30:48 ntpdMerlin: New version of ntpdMerlin available - updating to v1.0.9
Mar 26 16:30:49 ntpdMerlin: ntpdMerlin successfully updated
Mar 26 16:35:01 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 16:55:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:00:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:05:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:10:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:15:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:20:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:25:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:35:01 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:40:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:45:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:50:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 17:55:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 18:00:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 18:05:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs
Mar 26 18:10:00 ntpMerlin: Lock file found (age: 0 seconds) - stopping to prevent duplicate runs

Seems to have affected timing in the graph, but maybe I misunderstand the significance(?)

screenshot-router-asus-com-8443-2019-03-26-18-36-29.png
I'm having the same error message as well.

I'm having the same error message as well.
I had to do a complete uninstall, edit crontab (crontab -e - you need to understand vi), edit and remove any ntpMerlin entries still in /jffs/scripts/service-start. Then do a command line reinstall using the command in post #1. Those steps solved it for me.

Just a heads up, if you have modified the ntp.conf to use only close local servers, you need to re-edit or copy the backuped version to change the new default one added with the version 1.0.10 update.

I just happened to browse the syslog and saw this:
Code:
Mar 27 13:46:52 ntpMerlin: New version of ntpMerlin available - updating to v1.0.10
Mar 27 13:46:53 ntpMerlin: New version of ntp.conf downloaded, previous file saved to /jffs/configs/ntp.conf.bak
My graphs jump all over using worldwide servers, while they are much more steady using just the four us,pool.ntp.org servers.

Just a heads up, if you have modified the ntp.conf to use only close local servers, you need to re-edit or copy the backuped version to change the new default one added with the version 1.0.10 update.

I just happened to browse the syslog and saw this:
Code:
Mar 27 13:46:52 ntpMerlin: New version of ntpMerlin available - updating to v1.0.10
Mar 27 13:46:53 ntpMerlin: New version of ntp.conf downloaded, previous file saved to /jffs/configs/ntp.conf.bak
My graphs jump all over using worldwide servers, while they are much more steady using just the four us,pool.ntp.org servers.
I'll swap which file gets backed up (i.e. Leave your config intact and save the new one as a separate file)

working fine on an RT-AC5300

i am not a linux guy, more macos.

how do you restart ntpd?

can an option also be added to the ntpmerlin command?