What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strange is chrony has worked before. But in the meanwhile i switched to ntpd. The when I tried to switch again to chrony, this happened.
might be time for a factory reset. chrony not being able to determine a uid is completely bizarre

might be time for a factory reset. chrony not being able to determine a uid is completely bizarre
I think it doesn't determine uid because it can't start chrony. It simply don't start

I think it doesn't determine uid because it can't start chrony. It simply don't start
you must have messed with your firmware or installed an entware package that breaks basic username resolution:

EDIT: what does this look like on your router?
Code:
cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd

you must have messed with your firmware or installed an entware package that breaks basic username resolution:

EDIT: what does this look like on your router?
Code:
cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd
I agree with Jack. Your Linux environment is borked. The user and group ID are in /etc, a readonly filesystem. Rebuilt on every boot. If a reboot doesn't fix it - time for a firmware reflash and factory default reset.

Sorry...

Frankly, I'm surprised other functions are still working!

Can you show the output of
Code:
ls -l /etc/passw*
cd /etc
tail -c1 passwd | wc -l
ls -l /jffs/configs/passwd*
Had to split my command to bypass the Cloudflare police.

Very intriguing problem...

Is there a command to check if the chrony.conf file has been created if saving to the USB vs. JFFS? Thanks!

Can you show the output of
Code:
ls -l /etc/passw*
cd /etc
tail -c1 passwd | wc -l
ls -l /jffs/configs/passwd*
Had to split my command to bypass the Cloudflare police.

Very intriguing problem...
i bet this is samba related where the webui screws up the user list sometimes, so the smbpasswd file will hopefully help

i bet this is samba related where the webui screws up the user list sometimes, so the smbpasswd file will hopefully help
His /etc /passwd.custom was empty, where mine has my Samba users. Not sure if it’s a clue or a sign he doesn’t use samba. Let’s see. @maghuro?

His /etc /passwd.custom was empty, where mine has my Samba users. Not sure if it’s a clue or a sign he doesn’t use samba. Let’s see. @maghuro?
I don't use samba on router.
I do use samba but with my qnap, not with router...

As another point of reference, my /etc has passwd is the same size as @maghuro (160 bytes) and both passwd.custom and passwd.openvn exist with 0 bytes.

I do use Samba and my smbpasswd file is 65 bytes in size

As a side, chrony 4.0 is running quite well on my AX88U. There are number of new features - many in the area of security. Unfortunately, the chrony configure script doesn't think Entware has gnutls so it doesn't enable it during the build. I have posted a request on Entwares git page for 4.0 and please (somehow) add NTS support.

One of the devs did send me a chrony 4.0 ipk - but NTS is not enabled. He likely ran the configure script and didn't notice it said No to NTS. The script uses pkg-config to check for gnutls. The pkg-config in Entware doesn't supply the gnutls.pc file necessary for the script to work...

There is a new feature that might help:

Add -U option to allow start under non-root user

I believe it would still require a UID and GID...

I don't use samba on router.
I do use samba but with my qnap, not with router...
Check that libcap is installed in Entware.
Code:
opkg list-installed | grep ^libcap

Check that libcap is installed in Entware.
Code:
opkg list-installed | grep ^libcap
This command doesn't show anything, but when I try to install it, it says that it is installed

adminRT-AC86U/tmp/home/root opkg list-installed | grep ^libcap
adminRT-AC86U/tmp/home/root opkg install libcap
Package libcap (2.43-1) installed in root is up to date.

This command doesn't show anything, but when I try to install it, it says that it is installed

adminRT-AC86U/tmp/home/root opkg list-installed | grep ^libcap
adminRT-AC86U/tmp/home/root opkg install libcap
Package libcap (2.43-1) installed in root is up to date.
Try
Code:
opkg --force-reinstall install libcap