What's new

Nvidia Shield Connectivity issues (DNS ?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

creatine

Regular Contributor
My router setup is simple, RT3100 with DoT using Cloudflare DNS (strict), Dnsfilter set to Router, Diversion with standard blocklist, nordvpn app running on Nvidia Shield. The issue I am having is that my Nvidia Shield will randomly lose network connectivity (usually after 12 - 48 hrs). Wifi remains connected, but all streams stop (Netflix, youtube, etc), can't browse internet in chrome, etc. Rebooting the shield fixes the issue. All other devices on my network are OK. I have narrowed down the issue to using Cloudflare DNS in router DoT config. If I use google DNS servers in the router config, the issue does not present itself.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the shield ? Is there anyway to narrow down exactly what the shield is doing that causing the issue (ex: trying to resolve a DNS name, access an IP, etc) I would prefer not to use Google DNS.

Thanks.

My router setup is simple, RT3100 with DoT using Cloudflare DNS (strict), Dnsfilter set to Router, Diversion with standard blocklist, nordvpn app running on Nvidia Shield. The issue I am having is that my Nvidia Shield will randomly lose network connectivity (usually after 12 - 48 hrs). Wifi remains connected, but all streams stop (Netflix, youtube, etc), can't browse internet in chrome, etc. Rebooting the shield fixes the issue. All other devices on my network are OK. I have narrowed down the issue to using Cloudflare DNS in router DoT config. If I use google DNS servers in the router config, the issue does not present itself.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the shield ? Is there anyway to narrow down exactly what the shield is doing that causing the issue (ex: trying to resolve a DNS name, access an IP, etc) I would prefer not to use Google DNS.

Thanks.
Do you use both CF upstream servers in DoT? Might try to disable DNSSEC in the GUI (you should as there is a vulnerability in the current DNSMASQ).
I use CF 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 in the router and in Stubby on my Pi-Hole with no issues. I had used Quad9 but my ISP anycast router my requests to upstream servers over 1,000 miles away. The CF upstream servers are 90 miles away.
I modify Stubby to disable the roundrobin and to enable DNSSEC in Stubby. It is just my preference. Not a performance or security thing.

assuming you are using 5g, try lower band like 40 before changing DNS settings

Below are my DNS settings, I will try to disable DNSsec. @tgab_b I am 99.99% certain it is not a wireless 5 Ghz issue, I can reproduce it using 2.4Ghz and cloudflare DNS.

1611595177825.png

I had some similar issues with my Nvidia Shield that is running the TorGuard app. I then added the IP address of my router as static DNS in the app, and all was OK then.
GS

I had tried setting a custom DNS in the NordVPN app to 8.8.8.8 and still had the issue. I will set it to my router Ip 192.168.1.1 and see how it performs.

Well so far so good, been almost a week and Shield did not drop connectivity. Disabling DNSsec did not work, using 192.168.1.1 as DNS in NordVPN did not work. What seems to have solved the problem was logging out from the Shield android OS (no longer linked to my gmail). Can't explain why this worked, my only guess is some background process that is geolocated \ does not like being on VPN.

Well so far so good, been almost a week and Shield did not drop connectivity. Disabling DNSsec did not work, using 192.168.1.1 as DNS in NordVPN did not work. What seems to have solved the problem was logging out from the Shield android OS (no longer linked to my gmail). Can't explain why this worked, my only guess is some background process that is geolocated \ does not like being on VPN.

... interresting! since you are logout from Google, how can you then access the store to install furhter app then ?

... interresting! since you are logout from Google, how can you then access the store to install furhter app then ?
I would have to login again, install \ update apps and logout again. I don't really see this as an issue since I only use my Shield for streaming and all my apps are installed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!