What's new

"nvram get innerver" value carried over from ALPHA to STABLE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Swistheater

Very Senior Member
"nvram get innerver" value carried over from ALPHA to STABLE. Firmware reports 386.4 (I just switched to stable), but "nvram get innerver" reports innerver=3.0.0.4.386.4_alpha1-g8f4afe6890

This is perfectly normal, this variable only gets set on a factory default reset.

Code:
admin@stargate88ax:/tmp/home/root# nvram get innerver
3.0.0.4.384.19_alpha4-ge96d45e0a7

Yes, that is how often I do factory default resets on my own router - basically never...

Yes, that is how often I do factory default resets on my own router - basically never...
Why then there are so many posts on this forum to do a factory reset every new release upgrade? Seems like “dirty upgrades” are being frown upon, yet they are working perfectly well for you.

Why then there are so many posts on this forum to do a factory reset every new release upgrade?
I don't think there are that many posts that say that, except perhaps from one particular individual. The advice to do a factory reset is usually in response to someone who has encountered a problem after upgrading for which there is no obvious solution. In such cases it's usually quicker and simpler to do a factory reset rather than spending days trying to troubleshoot it on a forum.

Why then there are so many posts on this forum to do a factory reset every new release upgrade? Seems like “dirty upgrades” are being frown upon, yet they are working perfectly well for you.
It's like Windows. When you have a problem, you can either try to track down the source and fix it, or do a "format and reinstall".

Or, like if you own a "Smart" TV and there is a problem - tier 1 support will tell you to do a factory reset.
Fun...not.

It's like Windows. When you have a problem, you can either try to track down the source and fix it, or do a "format and reinstall".
Thx! Having to reconfigure a router several times a year is obviously a no-go for most people except the most hardened ones, so I am happy to hear that that would not be mandatory. Once in a while, yeah that makes sense.

Thx! Having to reconfigure a router several times a year is obviously a no-go for most people except the most hardened ones, so I am happy to hear that that would not be mandatory. Once in a while, yeah that makes sense.
If I change the format of a stored setting, I generally implement code that automatically handles the conversion. This conversion might not apply back to changes done 2-3 years ago, which is why I generally recommend doing a factory default reset if you are skipping multiple version (as I don't want to start tracking down the exact version number that implement every specific config changes).

If I change the format of a stored setting, I generally implement code that automatically handles the conversion. This conversion might not apply back to changes done 2-3 years ago, which is why I generally recommend doing a factory default reset if you are skipping multiple version (as I don't want to start tracking down the exact version number that implement every specific config changes).

That is neat and make a lot of sense. Thx for supporting this firmware!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!