What's new

NVRAM size

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Arnstein

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC68P router and I am using Merlin's firmware on it. Recently I started using OpenVPN client and a jffs script YazFi. I got everything working, but the router GUI posted a warning about low NVRAM. I got rid of a bunch of DHCP presets and the warning vanished.

I am not happy with the current state of the router though. The GUI tells me that NVRAM usage is "62066 / 65536 bytes". That's a bit too edgy for me. I would like to upgrade to a more capable router, RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U.

First question: anyone know what the NVRAM size is for RT-AC86U and RT-AX86U? I can't find this info in the Asus web pile.

Second question: are there any command line utilities I can use to look more closely at NVRAM usage?

Thanks for any clues!

The RT-AC86U has an NVRAM size of 131,072 bytes. The RT-AX88U has an NVRAM size that is also 131,072 bytes so I would assume that the RT-AX86U is the same too.

You may want to download the firmware you currently have installed (just in case), create a backup Config file of your settings along with a JFFS backup too. Then, do a full reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox and afterward, restoring your saved backups.

This should give you back as much room as possible within the NVRAM partition on your current router and may even let you save up for a better model than the two you mentioned.

HTH.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!