What's new

Odd Message in System Logs in AC66U in Repeater Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jegesq

Very Senior Member
I just looked at the System Logs for my RT-AC66U, which is running in "Repeater" mode. It is using Merlin 374.41. The repeater is set to use the 5ghz radio only to connect to another RT-AC66U that is running as a wired/wireless router. The router is running Merlin 374.38.

The System Log in the Repeater shows the same message being reported about every 7 minutes or so (sometimes more frequently). I don't believe that whatever is being reported is affecting performance of either the router or the repeater adversely in any way, but I can't really be sure.

I will also check the System Logs in the Router as well and report back (by editing this if necessary).

I'm not going to post the entire list of messages from the Repeater's logs, but just a short snippet. They have continued as set out below up to the present time.

Can anyone explain what these messages mean? Are they benign (since they don't seem to be affecting performance), or are they reporting something that is actually symptomatic and that needs to be changed by adjusting some settings?

Any help appreciated.

RT AC66U "Repeater" System Log excerpt:

Nov 27 10:58:07 nmbd[21237]: process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.1.1. Source name RT-AC66U<00> is one of our names !
Nov 27 10:58:40 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 10:58:40, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(232)
Nov 27 10:58:40 nmbd[21237]: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.1 for workgroup WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
Nov 27 11:03:41 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:03:41, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(232)
Nov 27 11:03:41 nmbd[21237]: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.1 for workgroup WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
Nov 27 11:08:42 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:08:42, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(232)
Nov 27 11:08:42 nmbd[21237]: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.1 for workgroup WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
Nov 27 11:10:12 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:10:12, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_browse_packet(1067)
Nov 27 11:10:12 nmbd[21237]: process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.1.1. Source name RT-AC66U<00> is one of our names !
Nov 27 11:13:51 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:13:51, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(232)
Nov 27 11:13:51 nmbd[21237]: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.1 for workgroup WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
Nov 27 11:18:52 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:18:52, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(232)
Nov 27 11:18:52 nmbd[21237]: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.1 for workgroup WORKGROUP registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
Nov 27 11:22:11 nmbd[21237]: [2014/11/27 11:22:11, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_browse_packet(1067)
Nov 27 11:22:11 nmbd[21237]: process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.1.1. Source name RT-AC66U<00> is one of our names !

And on, and on, and so forth, and so on.......

Edited to Add:

In the Router System Logs, there also appear to be some corresponding messages in the Router's Logs that seem to match what the Repeater is showing. I won't repeat them all, but sometime between when the Repeater shows "There is already a domain master browser...." the Router Logs show this (again, I'm just showing one instance...there are many and different intervals that seem to be between the Repeater events):

Nov 27 11:16:58 nmbd[345]: [2014/11/27 11:16:58, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_browse_packet(1067)
Nov 27 11:16:58 nmbd[345]: process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.1.42. Source name RT-AC66U<00> is one of our names !

Again, the question is, any reason for concern? Or is this totally benign?

I realize that because I'm using two AC66U's, they both have the same name, but I do not see any way in either unit to change that. And as for one of them needing to assume the role of "master browser" I understand that as well.

Is this therefore just something that occurs when using a router (as a router) and the same model as a repeater?

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this.

ONE MORE ADD:

In case it wasn't clear, the Router's internal IP is 192.168.1 and the Repeater is assigned 192.168.42 by the Router.

And all of the Windows-based computers connected to either the Router or the Repeater are part of the same workgroup entitled "Workgroup" (there at least 8, sometimes more, at any given time on the network).

Last edited:
Are you running Samba on both routers?

The message is telling you that there is a conflict when trying to determine which machine will become the master browser because two devices have the same name.

You should never have two devices with the same name on the same network.

The best way the fix it would be to do a factory reset on the repeater. Then when you set it up for the first time, IIRC, you are given the option to change it's name. Change it to something like RT-AC66U-RP.

Alternatively change:

USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Device Name

and

LAN > LAN IP > Device Name

UPDATE: Also, if you are running 2 instances of Samba on purpose, make sure that only one of them is forced to be the master browser at: USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Force as Master Browser

Last edited:

Not sure. I do not remember activating or setting up the Samba server. How can I check that in the settings (and I'm presuming that's in the router). I guess I look in "USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Device Name" as you mentioned.... I will give that a try.

BTW, is it possible that the Samba server is enabled (even though I don't remember enabling it) because I'm using an older version of Merlin's FW on the Router (374.38)? Would this not be the case if I were to switch to one of the newer builds? Was this a security hole that was closed in one of the later, more recent builds?

You should never have two devices with the same name on the same network.

The best way the fix it would be to do a factory reset on the repeater. Then when you set it up for the first time, IIRC, you are given the option to change it's name. Change it to something like RT-AC66U-RP.

I thought that might be the problem. Before you posted your answer, I changed the names of both the router and the repeater (in the "LAN>LAN>Device Name" setting box that you mentioned. I changed the Router from RT-AC66U to "RT-AC66U Router" (but I realize I left a blank space between the U and Router...I seem to remember reading that blank spaces present a problem), and I changed the Repeater to "RT-AC66U Repeat" (again I left a blank space between the "U" and "Repeat"....I'll try it with no space or an underline instead). With the blank spaces, I didn't see any difference in the log messages, but I'll try it again with no spaces and see if it makes any difference. I will update the result below after I do so.

I'd like not to have to do a factory reset of the Repeater if at all possible, since I'm getting really good throughput right now on both the Repeater and with devices connected both wired and wireless to the Router. But I will just changing device names and rebooting doesn't result in a positive change in the logs.

Thanks for your help.

Later Add:

As noted below, I changed the names so that there are no spaces in them. Seemed to do the trick and I didn't need to do a factory reset on either device.

Last edited:
You can't have spaces in the host name. Only A to Z, 0 to 9 or a minus sign (-) should be used.

Not sure. I do not remember activating or setting up the Samba server. How can I check that in the settings (and I'm presuming that's in the router).
Go to USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Enable Share

Odd.

I checked both the Router and the Repeater at "USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk > Enable Share" and found that the Samba Server had already been "enabled". I didn't remember turning it on, and since I have no USB Disk attached to either of these units, I cannot imagine why it would have been enabled.

I also checked "USB Application > Media Server / Media Server" and found that the DLNA Media Server had also been "enabled" on both devices.

While I do stream stuff from two NAS'es and a Windows 8.1 install that is set up as a server (i.e., three spare machines that simply are used for media and storage) and which remain accessible across the network, most of the streaming is on computers and not on other sorts of media devices (e.g., in our den, I stream using an HTPC). This all seems to still work if I have the DLNA Media Server settings on the Router and Repeater turned to "Disabled".

With the name changes, and turning both the Samba server and DLNA servers to "disabled", my System Logs on both devices are clean, and there appears to be no contention among them for which one is going to be the Master Browser.

Thanks for the assistance. Will do some more testing to see if the logs continue to show any odd messages. For now though, all seems to be clear and working just fine.

Thanks again Colin.

Edited on 12/2/2014: All clear now. Logs are stable clean with the Samba server off, DLNA server off and the repeater SSID names with no blank spaces. The odd thing is that I never turned either server on; apparently they were on by default and I just never noticed that in the logs or settings before. Thanks again for your assistance.

Last edited: