What's new

Odd wifi problem with Galaxy S8+ and play store (amongst others)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm definitely having exactly the same problems with my android device and my Asus rt-ac86u router. My OnePlus 6T works fine on every other wifi network I've been on. On my network downloads through Google Play related apps have significant problems. I didn't have any packages disabled so I don't think that's the problem in my case.

So, I had a similar problem with my Asus RT-AX92U Router and any Android Device, all Play Store downloads would run with ~10-100KB/s. Interestingly, creating a 2.4GHz guest network and connecting with this, I didn't have the problem. I wasn't able to figure out 100% what the actual problem is. However, activating "Traditional QoS" (not the adaptive stuff), seems to fix it for the main Wifi. So maybe this helps somebody as a temporary workaround (e.g. @Fandroid) until someone discovers the real cause.

I have a similar problem with my rt-ac5300 (merlin 384.15, upgrade to 384.16, nothing changes) galaxy s9. All my other devices works fine, one tablet & one laptop (apple products), one kindle. But only my galaxy does not seems work well with the router. I disabled most of futures from the professional tab, nothing changes. A strange behavior I have noticed is, while i change a wifi setting my phone will try to reconnect to the router, it will works fine for few minutes. But once you left it there for a while the try to use the wifi it will slow again.

So, I had a similar problem with my Asus RT-AX92U Router and any Android Device, all Play Store downloads would run with ~10-100KB/s. Interestingly, creating a 2.4GHz guest network and connecting with this, I didn't have the problem. I wasn't able to figure out 100% what the actual problem is. However, activating "Traditional QoS" (not the adaptive stuff), seems to fix it for the main Wifi. So maybe this helps somebody as a temporary workaround (e.g. @Fandroid) until someone discovers the real cause.
Well, the problem disappeared by itself a few days later with my original configuration of the router... I've no explanation.

Thanks for the help.