What's new

Old router cant keep up after internet upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loki993

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a WRT 54G loaded with DDWRT. I just upgraded from 25 Mb to 75 and the old linksys cant handled it. Im maxing out about 42 Mbps or so wired so its time for a new one.

I have a Zoom 5341J cable modem and I dont think thats an issue, but Ill list it here anyway.

Speed is obviously a priority but what I am really looking for is range and good latency, I need the least speed loss over range. I do some streaming over wifi and I had some issue with the linksys so I got a Netgear 6300 and it was even worse than the linksys. I was getting a ton of latency, ie 150ms+ pings with a firetv stick sitting right next to it, with it for some reason so I returned it and kept using the linksys because it did a good enough job and didn't cost me anything.

I game, wired, so throughput is important but I'm assuming any new router will have more than enough for anything I can do to it wired.

For the wifi everything is N, except for a fire tv box and thats connected wired anyway.

Ive been looking hard at either the Archer C5 or C7. I don't like how the natboost affects the throughput so much on the c8. Im a costco and sams member...I know costco right now has their version? of the 1900 nighthawk, R6900, on sale for like 150...however honestly do I need that.

For what I need I think it can all be done with something much cheaper....

I dont really care if it has DDWRT support again...

I currently have a WRT 54G loaded with DDWRT. I just upgraded from 25 Mb to 75 and the old linksys cant handled it. Im maxing out about 42 Mbps or so wired so its time for a new one.

I have a Zoom 5341J cable modem and I dont think thats an issue, but Ill list it here anyway.

Speed is obviously a priority but what I am really looking for is range and good latency, I need the least speed loss over range. I do some streaming over wifi and I had some issue with the linksys so I got a Netgear 6300 and it was even worse than the linksys. I was getting a ton of latency, ie 150ms+ pings with a firetv stick sitting right next to it, with it for some reason so I returned it and kept using the linksys because it did a good enough job and didn't cost me anything.

I game, wired, so throughput is important but I'm assuming any new router will have more than enough for anything I can do to it wired.

For the wifi everything is N, except for a fire tv box and thats connected wired anyway.

Ive been looking hard at either the Archer C5 or C7. I don't like how the natboost affects the throughput so much on the c8. Im a costco and sams member...I know costco right now has their version? of the 1900 nighthawk, R6900, on sale for like 150...however honestly do I need that.

For what I need I think it can all be done with something much cheaper....

I dont really care if it has DDWRT support again...

Netgear has only released one version of firmware for the 6900. And.. If, you ever want to try 3rd party firmware, the Netgear router's made for Costco are not supported, however, the R7000 is supported by various developer's.
The ASUS AC1900 (Asus and Merlin firmware supported) is also a good selection. Apparently, Linksys AC1900, seems to be a good selection also. No idea if any 3rd party firmware is available for the Linksys AC1900.

Whatever you decide, ensure you have the option to return whatever you purchase, in the event you are not happy with it..

Netgear has only released one version of firmware for the 6900. And.. If, you ever want to try 3rd party firmware, the Netgear router's made for Costco are not supported, however, the R7000 is supported by various developer's.
The ASUS AC1900 (Asus and Merlin firmware supported) is also a good selection. Apparently, Linksys AC1900, seems to be a good selection also. No idea if any 3rd party firmware is available for the Linksys AC1900.

Whatever you decide, ensure you have the option to return whatever you purchase, in the event you are not happy with it..

I wasn't nessissiarly looking to spend 200 dollars on a router unless it was significantly better than something I could get for half that.....

I wasn't nessissiarly looking to spend 200 dollars on a router unless it was significantly better than something I could get for half that.....

What is significantly better to you? Spending double usually doesn't get you double. Spending 10x does.

But the AC1900 class routers available today in the $200 range (with Asus leading with a large margin in many aspects, not just performance) buying less is taking a considerable hit on more than one aspect or another, imo.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

In addition to the tips in the above post, be sure to first locate the main wifi router in the most central position (in 3D) possible.

The newest revision of the RT-AC68U with the 1GHz dual processors is still the sweet spot for what you need. Maybe much better than the ISP speeds you have today (it can handle much more than what you have), but the range and throughput that you are looking for.

If Asus' stock firmware, or the forks from RMerlin, john9527 or hggomes firmware doesn't cover what you need, I doubt there will be anything else in the price range that will either, while offering extended support (features and security) from Asus and many others for years to come.

What is significantly better to you? Spending double usually doesn't get you double. Spending 10x does.

But the AC1900 class routers available today in the $200 range (with Asus leading with a large margin in many aspects, not just performance) buying less is taking a considerable hit on more than one aspect or another, imo.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

In addition to the tips in the above post, be sure to first locate the main wifi router in the most central position (in 3D) possible.

The newest revision of the RT-AC68U with the 1GHz dual processors is still the sweet spot for what you need. Maybe much better than the ISP speeds you have today (it can handle much more than what you have), but the range and throughput that you are looking for.

If Asus' stock firmware, or the forks from RMerlin, john9527 or hggomes firmware doesn't cover what you need, I doubt there will be anything else in the price range that will either, while offering extended support (features and security) from Asus and many others for years to come.

Significantly better I suppose means its got enough performance and features to justify the extra money. Plus some future proofing would be nice. Seems the Asus fits all that.

Any difference between the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC68W aside from the color? Because the W is 160 on amazon right now....

Any reason no one seems to recommend the TP links even though they're are all highly rated all over the main site?

Last edited:
Pretty well, anything would be better than WRT-54G which had it's time LONG ago, LOL! W means white in color, R means retail version usually found at place like Best Buy. IMO, RT-AC68u is mature product by now. Perusing router ranker may give some idea in selecting your new router.

Pretty well, anything would be better than WRT-54G which had it's time LONG ago, LOL! W means white in color, R means retail version usually found at place like Best Buy. IMO, RT-AC68u is mature product by now. Perusing router ranker may give some idea in selecting your new router.

Yeah the old WRT was fine and did what I needed it to so I never replaced it. Yeah thats where I saw the TP links..the Archer C5 and C7..both seem good and far cheaper than anything from Netgear or Asus. I know you get what you pay for most of the time though. but no one appears to recommend them.

I hear you .. to save money I tried a refurbished ASUS RT-AC68P and there seemed to be some problem. I've seen refurbished ones for $149. I think this one just had some WAN port problem. Great router and range when it was working...reviews are accurate... I just got a bad unit.

I'm now awaiting a refurbished (can you tell I'm cheap) Linksys EA6900 .. really cheap. This did ok on the SNB reviews. I'm hoping it just works.. the firmware has not been updated in years so the folks here are right about support and features..

The R7000 can be found cheaply if you shop around online. Depends how cheap one is. I'd be really upset if I paid 200+ for a router and its starts having problems.... under 100 for refurbished and it has problems...not so upset.

I hear you .. to save money I tried a refurbished ASUS RT-AC68P and there seemed to be some problem. I've seen refurbished ones for $149. I think this one just had some WAN port problem. Great router and range when it was working...reviews are accurate... I just got a bad unit.

I'm now awaiting a refurbished (can you tell I'm cheap) Linksys EA6900 .. really cheap. This did ok on the SNB reviews. I'm hoping it just works.. the firmware has not been updated in years so the folks here are right about support and features..

The R7000 can be found cheaply if you shop around online. Depends how cheap one is. I'd be really upset if I paid 200+ for a router and its starts having problems.... under 100 for refurbished and it has problems...not so upset.

Or used one or open box ones at eBay at a good price. If something is wrong it can be returned for full refund if paid via Paypal.