What's new

? on changing internal IP address range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kipweb

New Around Here
Hi,
I would like to change my internal IP address range. I have a number of static addresses I was thinking of changing them first and hitting apply. Then I was going to change the DCHP server range then finally changing the router IP address.
Is this the best way to go?
Thanks
kip

I recently done this using a merlin build on my AP with dnsmasq.conf.add file.

I gave everything on my network a static DHCP address outside the 'DHCP range' (my DHCP range is 150 to 199) in dnsmasq.conf.add and restarted dnsmasq and changed my all my static devices (mainly my Pi's) to use DHCP. Let them all switch over, then I changed the dnsmasq.conf.add to the new IP range, changed the router's IP & DHCP pool to the new IP range (adjusted to suit), restarted dnsmasq, and all devices picked up the new DHCP address.

Then I removed (or rather rem'ed out i.e. #) the static devices and set them back as real static IP.

Worked a treat.

Thanks, Skiron.
Just to clarify my setup. The static IP's are manually assigned in the DHCP server area. Wouldn't I be be able to change the manually addresses using the GUI

I don't know, I don't use that - takes too long to populate and change (especially 'on the fly') and also my static DHCP devices get a 7 day lease as opposed to the DHCP pool which all get a 1.5 hour lease hence why I only use dnsmasq.conf.add.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have a look into the dnsmasq.conf.add file side of things.

Edit:
Would YazDHCP be another way of doing it?

Thanks