What's new

One of my RT-AC86Us died and shipped to Asus...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What the warranty on the replacement? Because if you had total of 2 years warranty on the product you originally purchased, your replacement has no warranty left. Is this how they proceed with replacements?

Yes that's exactly what they do, your warranty carries over from your initial purchase. I messaged support to confirm and they extended the warranty by 90 days thankfully. (The warranty was going to expire in 5 days, leaving no room for testing on my replacement)

I had been having problems with the 86U for a few months now, speed drops on my WiFi connected devices and connection drops. It was a 2018 model (had it for a month short of 2 years), I even tried the L&LD nuclear reset. Was still having the same issues.

I went through the RMA process and received a brand new replacement within 10 days. The 86U I received is a 2019 model and has been running fine for over 24 hours now on the latest Merlin firmware.

Speed is what I should be getting from my ISP, no speed drops although a few of my 2.4g devices are dropping connection but I don't think it's the router that's at fault most likely some settings I need to go through.

The temporary router I was using from my ISP was not dropping the 2.4g connection on those same devices so I think they just don't like the 86U lol.

Edit: I just thought of something, the replacement router had the 2.4g/5g channels separated and I'm currently using smart connect with the 86U, has anyone had similar problems when using smart connect?

Last edited:
Just as a data point, got the pre-printed label, gave it FedEx Sunday the 15th, and now a new one is on it's way back now and supposed to be delivered tomorrow, Sunday the 22nd. Granted, I live ~350 miles S/SE of San Francisco, but I was worried it was going to get stuck for months when CA issued the "shelter at home" order.

The 86U I received is a 2019 model and has been running fine for over 24 hours now on the latest Merlin firmware
Mine it's a 2019 batch and it's been rock solid for almost a year on stock firmware

I had been having problems with the 86U for a few months now, speed drops on my WiFi connected devices and connection drops. It was a 2018 model (had it for a month short of 2 years), I even tried the L&LD nuclear reset. Was still having the same issues.

I went through the RMA process and received a brand new replacement within 10 days. The 86U I received is a 2019 model and has been running fine for over 24 hours now on the latest Merlin firmware.

Speed is what I should be getting from my ISP, no speed drops although a few of my 2.4g devices are dropping connection but I don't think it's the router that's at fault most likely some settings I need to go through.

The temporary router I was using from my ISP was not dropping the 2.4g connection on those same devices so I think they just don't like the 86U lol.

Edit: I just thought of something, the replacement router had the 2.4g/5g channels separated and I'm currently using smart connect with the 86U, has anyone had similar problems when using smart connect?
What is your status?
I've bought brand new rt-86U in January 2020, was with asus firmware well until May, when I realize 2.4 GHz is dead. Got a replacement with another one, also 2019 manufacture year, put Merlin firmware there and after 4 weeks there is no 2.4Ghz signal :(

What is your status?
I've bought brand new rt-86U in January 2020, was with asus firmware well until May, when I realize 2.4 GHz is dead. Got a replacement with another one, also 2019 manufacture year, put Merlin firmware there and after 4 weeks there is no 2.4Ghz signal :(

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your 86U, it does sound like there are some issues with it and the 2.4G WiFi channel.

I would first try to find out with 100% certainty that your 2.4G channel is actually dead before starting an RMA or going for a replacement. Login to the router UI and see if you can see the 2.4G channel there, also if you have any other devices that use 2.4G try those if you haven't yet.

What I would do first is reset the router then reinstall the firmware file. You can try the L&LD reset but it's a bit overkill in my opinion since you said you just got the replacement and it's brand new.

After doing that set it up without changing any settings you don't have to, keep it in as default a state as possible. Check the 2.4G channel, if it still doesn't show up try turning off smart connect if you haven't already in the initial setup and reboot the router. Remember to rename the channels so you know which is which.

Wait a minute or 2 after rebooting. If your 2.4G channel doesn't show up in the router UI or it's not being picked up by your devices most likely it is the router hardware that's at fault. Unfortunately you'll have to get a replacement or start an RMA. The other option is to just go with a completely different router if you can but that's up to you.

As for my 86U it's still working great both 2.4G/5G, although I have few devices that use 2.4G as I'm switching mostly over to 5G now. LAN also is working fine, I don't have speed fluctuations anymore like I did on the old 86U (2018 model) and I don't have to reboot every other day like with the old router.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your 86U, it does sound like there are some issues with it and the 2.4G WiFi channel.

I would first try to find out with 100% certainty that your 2.4G channel is actually dead before starting an RMA or going for a replacement. Login to the router UI and see if you can see the 2.4G channel there, also if you have any other devices that use 2.4G try those if you haven't yet.

What I would do first is reset the router then reinstall the firmware file. You can try the L&LD reset but it's a bit overkill in my opinion since you said you just got the replacement and it's brand new.

After doing that set it up without changing any settings you don't have to, keep it in as default a state as possible. Check the 2.4G channel, if it still doesn't show up try turning off smart connect if you haven't already in the initial setup and reboot the router. Remember to rename the channels so you know which is which.

Wait a minute or 2 after rebooting. If your 2.4G channel doesn't show up in the router UI or it's not being picked up by your devices most likely it is the router hardware that's at fault. Unfortunately you'll have to get a replacement or start an RMA. The other option is to just go with a completely different router if you can but that's up to you.

As for my 86U it's still working great both 2.4G/5G, although I have few devices that use 2.4G as I'm switching mostly over to 5G now. LAN also is working fine, I don't have speed fluctuations anymore like I did on the old 86U (2018 model) and I don't have to reboot every other day like with the old router.
I think it is defective series. Did all reset, restore default setting steps before and had the same.
I use 5GHz everywhere except old laptop and IoT device. Decided to add for them old cheap d-link as a workaround and leave as it is. I will ask for replacement 6 months later, and hope they will send newer one without this issue.

Both are the same, bought in Poland:
HW ver: R1.5
SW ver: 3.0.0.4.384
Production year: 2019

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!