What's new

One time message / captive portal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thorgear

Regular Contributor
I need to setup a message that appears the first time a user connects to the Internet. This is for things like announcing that the network will be down. The Tomato built-in captive portal seems to be overkill and can't necessarily give me what I need.

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way to implement this? I'm looking for a solution that applies to either Tomato or ASUS/Merlin.

Thanks.

The easiest way to do this is through hotspot or captive portal, its not overkill as its the exact feature you need. Theres nothing like being overkill sometimes. Just like for me i have a CCR1036 in the UK when the maximum speed for internet in the UK is currently 200Mb/s, its totally overkill. Im sure in 100 years my router would not be able to keep up with internet speeds. If you dont know the CCR1036 is capable of 28Gb/s of NAT.

When the HD7970 first came out with its 3GB of vram people were saying anyone gaming at 1080p with it should be shot. But now even for 1080p you cant max out settings with it. So if you have something thats overkill no reason not to use it. Just configure it right and it will work as you like.

Wow! Amazing router.

What I meant was that, in my situation, Tomato's CP has too many issues to overcome. The biggest issue is that splashd relies on both MACs and IPs. My gateway is upstream from another router, so I only have IPs. The effect is that only one person can get past the CP page. I can't bypass the problem because it's inside splashd, and splashd doesn't have an option to overlook MACs.

Do you know of an alternative to Tomato's CP that might work for me?

The Tomato built-in captive portal seems to be overkill and can't necessarily give me what I need.

Study the config there - it's likely what you need - plenty of options to configure it...

I have. So far I can't find a way around the MAC address dependency. I'll keep working on it. Thanks sfx.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!