What's new

Only 400Mb on 1Gb connection with Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would not use this AC68U with Gigabit ISP because almost any advanced feature on it will drop the speed down again.

With your 1Gbps ISP speeds, you may want to consider a (much) newer router.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

The RT-AX86U is highly recommended for a reason. Even though you're getting expected (top) speeds now from your network, the RT-AX86U, properly set up, will bring it up a few levels more. And be more relevant into the future too.

When you do a factory reset do you bring back config from a backup config file - or set up completely from scratch again?
I have same issue on AC86u on a 1Gbps VM connection
You should really set it up from scratch otherwise it's likely you'll just be restoring the same problem from the backup file. But you can try it if you want.

Before that go to Administration > Privacy. If you have enabled any of the licenced features Withdraw from them and reboot the router. Test the speeds again.

You should really set it up from scratch otherwise it's likely you'll just be restoring the same problem from the backup file. But you can try it if you want.

Before that go to Administration > Privacy. If you have enabled any of the licenced features Withdraw from them and reboot the router. Test the speeds again.
Excellent - thanks - that has increased speed form approx 390-440Mb to 490 - 560.
Now wonder what else I can do to improve speeds?
Also now the trend micro protections have gone what else do you use to give that protection back i.e. malicious site blocking, two-way IPS, Infected device prevention and blocking?

Excellent - thanks - that has increased speed form approx 390-440Mb to 490 - 560.
Now wonder what else I can do to improve speeds?
If your ISP speed is genuinely 1 Gbps but you're still only getting 560 Mbps I would do a factory reset and fresh setup to try an achieve the proper speed. You can always make a backup of your current setting and jffs partition beforehand so that you can restore to that point if the reset makes no difference.

Also now the trend micro protections have gone what else do you use to give that protection back i.e. malicious site blocking, two-way IPS, Infected device prevention and blocking?
To do deep packet inspection you would need to use a separate device between the modem and the router. For general blocking of access to malicious sites you could set your WAN DNS to something like 9.9.9.9. or use custom block lists in the Diversion addon. Alternatively you could use the Skynet addon to block direct access by IP address.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!