What's new

Ookla's resident Speedtest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
First Trend Micro got into our home network router.

Now Ookla is in our home network router. Here's the privacy policy: https://www.speedtest.net/about/privacy

Do we really need a network resident speed test with a privacy policy? I don't think so. Take it out, Asus! I'll conduct my own speed tests on my terms without Ookla living in my router.

How does Asuswrt-Merlin handle this?

OE

Yes, just another data grab.

But, technically, it’s handy to test the WAN speed *from* the router - without any losses incurred by the client or the means of connection to the router.

AFAIK nobody's forcing you to use it, or am I wrong about that?

People have been moaning for years about the lack of an on-router speed test. Now they've got it they're still moaning. :rolleyes:

AFAIK nobody's forcing you to use it, or am I wrong about that?

People have been moaning for years about the lack of an on-router speed test. Now they've got it they're still moaning. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what it does whether I click on it or not. And now it lives and runs on my network gateway.

I never asked for a router resident speed test with a privacy policy... and I don't need it... it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know... it's a shiny doodad that adds no particular value and promises to further invade and erode my privacy.

I'm just saying 'no'... not moaning. You should not confuse the two.

OE

I‘m not moaning, I love the idea - and I confirmed my suspicions.

The Router reports an extra 30 meg down than the Speedtest App on my Apple TV 4K.

I‘m not moaning, I love the idea - and I confirmed my suspicions.

The Router reports an extra 30 meg down than the Speedtest App on my Apple TV 4K.

Smart TVs!... don't get me started! :)

OE

I'm not sure what it does whether I click on it or not. And now it lives and runs on my network gateway.

I never asked for a router resident speed test with a privacy policy... and I don't need it... it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know... it's a shiny doodad that adds no particular value and promises to further invade and erode my privacy.

I'm just saying 'no'... not moaning. You should not confuse the two.

OE
I can understand you not wanting it for yourself but demanding that Asus "Take it out" means denying it to other people who might find it useful. At least it's a network tool that might be useful for tuning QoS.

If you want Asus to remove things I'd suggest they start with iTunes Server, Media Server, Time Machine, AiCloud and Samba. Now there's a bunch of stuff that ought not to be on a router.

The speedtest doesn't do anything unless you actually click on it to run it. And a EULA is just as necessary as it is when you visit their actual website.

Yes, just another data grab.

No, it's not. It's actually a very useful tool. There's even an addon script for a speedtest on Asuswrt-Merlin, which indicates how popular such a feature is.

If you don't like, then just don't click on it... It won't change a single thing in your life by being available in the router.

If you want Asus to remove things I'd suggest they start with iTunes Server, Media Server, Time Machine, AiCloud and Samba. Now there's a bunch of stuff that ought not to be on a router.

Yeah, I don't need any of that.

I feel better about it after a good night's sleep... but I'm still fed up with privacy policies that proceed to tell me at great length and in nauseating detail what some company is going to do to me whether I like it or not. It's time to start regulating to stop some of this. And if an unimportant and unnecessary feature requires such a privacy policy, leave it out... to hell with it and them.

OE

It would be even better if all these sort of things were installable apps rather than part of the firmware allowing people to choose for themselves what they find useful and not. Personally, I do everything possible on my routers to offload bloatware and only run the services critical to the functions I require.

Having said that, a speedtest could be useful now and then as, particularly after a recent move, all my devices are primarily wireless. If I want a speedtest, I have to relocate my laptop, or maybe finally unpack my desktop, if I can find the right box, to perform a wired test. I also removes a number of components from the chain and should give a more accurate reading, assuming the overhead of the test is manageable by the resources in the router.

It would be even better if all these sort of things were installable apps rather than part of the firmware allowing people to choose for themselves what they find useful and not. Personally, I do everything possible on my routers to offload bloatware and only run the services critical to the functions I require.

The Ookla speedtest isn't a service however. It only gets run when you launch it, it's a command line executable.

The Ookla speedtest isn't a service however. It only gets run when you launch it, it's a command line executable.
Almost the same thing, but I like the concept of installing an app. Even though I'm an old school command prompt guy, I like the convenience and richer interface of a GUI for that sort of thing. Particularly on a router or NAS. (Although there is still a lot of bloatware on the QNAP NAs)

In my case the Ookla speedtest from the router shows half of the download speed i get when going to the website.
Not sure if is the router or the ISP. Anyone experiencing something like this?
I am using a RT-AC5300 and someone said the route cheapset is not powerful enough.
Anyone?

In my case the Ookla speedtest from the router shows half of the download speed i get when going to the website.
Not sure if is the router or the ISP. Anyone experiencing something like this?
I am using a RT-AC5300 and someone said the route cheapset is not powerful enough.
Anyone?

My GT-AC5300 can do Speedtest to no more than 600mbps. While clients behind the router can easily reach full WAN speed of 1G.
It's the CPU of the router and the fact speedtest seems to be capable of using only 1 core.
Speedtest on the router is more confusing than helpful for users. But it's there.

My GT-AC5300 can do Speedtest to no more than 600mbps. While clients behind the router can easily reach full WAN speed of 1G.
It's the CPU of the router and the fact speedtest seems to be capable of using only 1 core.
Speedtest on the router is more confusing than helpful for users. But it's there.
In my case the router can only do 250Mbps and the clients will reach the full 500Mbps (500/20 connection).
Really strange mine can't reach the 500 and yours can do 600... almost seems like a bug ~1/2 of the max.

Surprised to hear about slow on-router speed tests with the GT-AC5300, network is idled and trying different Ookla nodes?

I have an up-to-date XT8 connected to a bridged XB7 modem and the speed tests are quite consistent and slightly faster than using W10 Ookla app, due to the XT8 and XB7 being connected via 2.5g ports.

CropImage.jpg

Surprised to hear about slow on-router speed tests with the GT-AC5300, network is idled and trying different Ookla nodes?

I have an up-to-date XT8 connected to a bridged XB7 modem and the speed tests are quite consistent and slightly faster than using W10 Ookla app, due to the XT8 and XB7 being connected via 2.5g ports.

View attachment 32745
Yes, network idles, tried different nodes and same result. See below a typical set of results.

Attachments

• SpeedTest_R.JPG
    SpeedTest_R.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 126
  • SpeedTest_W.JPG
    SpeedTest_W.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 155
i have no problem with 500/40, on AC86u.
1617461257832.png

But for test some time ago i got 1000/100 and there was no problem with that speed

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!