What's new

Open Source surveillance / CCTV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

exchange keys

New Around Here
I'm looking for a really affordable and convenient way to set up a surveillance system to monitor/record a small work area in an industrial building. This room has two doors and a large window. Currently, it doesn't have a LAN connection except for WLAN, which seems to be accessible to everyone in the building. Anyone have any recommendations?

NOTE: Would ZoneMinder work? http://www.zoneminder.com/

You are looking for, software? hardware?

Many camera's these days can be POE powered which I think is very useful. Some camera's can write directly to a network share which eliminates the need to have a pc running day/night (I'd use a NAS). There are also camera's that have a build in webserver for streaming (but then you would have to log in to each camera seperately).

Then there are specific kinds of NAS'es that have software build in for recording/monitoring, sending alerts (per SMS/email) and have a ton of other features (check out Qnap). You could also go the PC-router as you kind of mentioned and install monitoring/recording software on the computer.

In short, you are a tad vague on info:)

I'm sorry, Jeroen1000. I was being vague since I don't have any idea on what to look for, or where to start from. However, your comment was very insightful, so thank you for that.

Btw, I would be starting from scratch: I would need both the software and hardware. I just want to monitor a small room (maybe 10x10x8). I would prefer not to have the NAS physically in the same location, but I guess I could build some hidden compartment so this doesn't get stolen.

All I really want is to be able to present evidence to the police in order for them to track down my equipment.

Also, it would be cool if these cameras were rather secretive (no exposed wires, not affected by laser pointers, etc...).

I don't know how much of a budget I have (maybe $500 ?), so these commercial solutions might be out of the question...

thiggins, thank you for your article. That seems rather cool. Maybe that'll work.

All camera's are affected by laser pointers I'm afraid. I don't know to what degree but it isn't supposed to be easy to blind the camera all the time (one would sure need a steady aim). Funnily, people tested this already on youtube.

It just so happens I've been looking for a CCTV-solution too. I'm assuming you want a IP-camera which usuallly comes with megapixel (or higher!) resolution (although this need not be the case, they also come in SD-resolution).

I think secretive is out of the budget and perhaps even difficult to achieve. Good optics (lenses) are somewhat larger an thus unsuited for a secret camera (I wouldn't know what to look for really). Unless you are trying to catch a suspect employee, I would go the 'normal' route. Camera's often scare criminals away. And in a business , you should be very aware of legislation. You may need to put up a sign, sometimes laws get more strict if you record audio, you may have to register your setup officially, ... I also think it is not allowed to secretly record employees (it is allowed to record criminals invading your building though).

The next thing you should consider is IR-illumination (unless the room is always lit sufficiently when you want to record). B/W camera's are more sensitive at night than a colour camera. If you go colour you need an IR-sensitive camera if you want to see in the dark.Some camera come with build in IR, some don't and need external IR-lighting.

You could opt for a dome camera and more or less pick a vandal proof housing (domes are inherently harder to molest).

I think it is always critical that you demo the camera you want to buy in order to see whether you get the desired results. That way you don't go all crazy buying expensive stuff. Too bad demoing in my country is rather hard because of the lousy service you get around here but you may be more lucky.

Now for storage, many camera's now include SD-storage. No need for a NAS, the SD-card is on the camera. I know this makes it rather easy to steal the evidence but you are not supposed to remove the card all the time. The software will allow you to retrieve what it has recorded via the network. With a dome camera you will have a hard pressed time removing the card anyway:). And a vandal proof housing for 'regular' camera's won't open up that easily either. Plus this gives you the room to add a recording solution later when budget allows you to.

Second option is a NAS but rule out any NAS specially made for CCTV as the cost of them starts at $500. You could still use a 'normal' NAS just for storage IF your camera allows to write directly to network shares of does FTP upload.

Third option is a NDVR (network digital video recorder). It's like a DVD-recorder in size. It's hardware and software rolled into one (rather than going the PC-router for the software side).

I hope my rantings will be of some use here:).

cheers,
Jeroen

Last edited:
network/ip cam

i have several network cam, POE and DC powered. if you want to record, then i recommend buy a small CCTV system from a Costco or Sam's Club warehouse. i just bought a 4 cam/ 320 GB DVR system for 300 bux from Costco. The H. 264 compression can record a ton and it is much easier to setup than an IP cam.

I still prefer my megapixel ACTi Cams at home, but the CCTV system is simple "plug and play"