What's new

Opening SIP local port in RT-AC88U for Asterisk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aegyssus

New Around Here
Hi,

Context
: I am running Merlin v380.59 on my RT-AC88U and I am quite happy with the device. I have installed IPKG and managed to successfully configure my Asterisk PBX. As I have a couple of external extensions, I need now to open the SIP port in order for my external extensions to register.
Just for the sake of the clarification, all internal extensions work fine, I can make and get calls without any trouble.

Question: How should I open a local port, ie make it reachable on the WAN interface?
I tried these commands but they did not open the ports:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5060 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 10000:20000 -j ACCEPT

Any comment/suggestion on the matter would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi,

Context
: I am running Merlin v380.59 on my RT-AC88U and I am quite happy with the device. I have installed IPKG and managed to successfully configure my Asterisk PBX. As I have a couple of external extensions, I need now to open the SIP port in order for my external extensions to register.
Just for the sake of the clarification, all internal extensions work fine, I can make and get calls without any trouble.

Question: How should I open a local port, ie make it reachable on the WAN interface?
I tried these commands but they did not open the ports:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5060 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 10000:20000 -j ACCEPT

Any comment/suggestion on the matter would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

WAN -> Virtual Servers. Enable it, then add your port forwards there.

Make sure your PBX is well secured however before exposing it to the WAN.

Hi RMerlin,
Thank you for your message. I apologize, it's my bad I haven't mentioned what I basically attempted to do, prior to open a new thread here.
First thing first, I went to WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding and added this line:
Service Name Port Range Local IP Local Port Protocol
VOIP-RT-SIP 5060 192.168.0.1 5060 UDP

Unfortunately that did not help at all. Then I tried the iptables commands but that did not change anything either...
Should I put the external IP in the Port Forwarding table, instead of the local gateway IP...?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,
Thank you for your message. I apologize, it's my bad I haven't mentioned what I basically attempted to do, prior to open a new thread here.
First thing first, I went to WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding and added this line:
Service Name Port Range Local IP Local Port Protocol
VOIP-RT-SIP 5060 192.168.0.1 5060 UDP

Unfortunately that did not help at all. Then I tried the iptables commands but that did not change anything either...
Should I put the external IP in the Port Forwarding table, instead of the local gateway IP...?
Thank you very much.

Sorry, I thought you were running it on another server, not the router itself. Forget about the Virtual Server page then. Since it runs on the router, you need to open the port in the INPUT chain indeed. I would try however inserting it (-I) rather than appending (-A), in case another rule might be preventing your additions from ever been reached.

Also, you might be running into issues with the NAT helper. Try setting it to "Enable" under LAN -> NAT Passthrough (it defaults to Enabled + NAT Helper)

A HUUUGE THANK YOU! It seems to be working fine, only by inserting instead of appending.
Though, I cannot find NAT Passthrough setting in the web interface. I only have NAT Acceleration under Switch Control tab and it has two possible values: Disable or Auto. I left it on Auto...
Thank you again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!