What's new

OpenVPN and accessing LAN devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

Hi,

Is there a way I can be connected to my OpenVPN Server but also access devices on the LAN?

For example I have a Sky Q set top box that, when on the LAN, I can access and view the recordings saved to the box via the Sky Go app in my iPhone/iPad.

If I go “off-net” and connect to my OpenVPN server, the app no longer recognises as being connected on the LAN anymore and has no visibility of the set top box.

I can access other LAN devices fine such as the router web GUI along with the web GUI for my printer and range extender, just not the Sky Q box.

Cheers!

That particular device might require a bridged VPN (e.g., OpenVPN server in TAP mode) instead of the more common routed (TUN) mode. However, most mobile devices don't support bridged tunnels. NOT unless perhaps they are using untrusted sources or have been jailbroken.