What's new

OpenVPN client on router w/ OBI SIP exposed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamaaina

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

The goal is to have my R7000 to be the gateway router, run an OpenVPN client for all incoming and outgoing traffic and also have an OBI SIP adapter connected to it. When I do that I have issues with the SIP connections (various accounts), the accounts cannot connect or I don't receive calls after 1-2 days.

The current "work-around" is to have the AC56U as a gateway router (no VPN) with the OBI 202 attached to it and the R7000 behind running the VPN and all other network traffic. Works fine, but requires an extra device that I would like to eliminate. Putting the OBI 202 itself first as a gateway reduces Internet speed by 80% as the OBI cannot seem to handle much speed through its switch.

I thought I could just put the OBI in a DMZ on the router with a static IP and that would do the trick but somehow it did not work. I tried a few times but that's also a new area for me. Do I need to use port forwarding as well well or somehow customize the firewall or the OpenVPN client to exclude the OBI traffic? How would I do that? Thanks much.