What's new

OpenVPN Client : reset to default

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spaghetti_Jack

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have router Asus 88U with Merlin, VPN Client with NordVPN account,

two of NordVPN files were preinstalled on the router, however recently i checked
and i saw the leak: name my original provider

I decided to change VPN file, but stubbornly after loading the file, file was disappearing after 2 seconds.
In the log it states "resetting client to default settings".

So i flushed Merlin Firmware, to the newest one from 384.19 to 386.1_2 and factory reset the ASUS router, however problem persists.

Code:
Mar 26 12:18:46 hostapd: eth7: STA yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy IEEE 802.11: associated
Mar 26 12:18:46 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set 
Mar 26 12:18:46 hostapd: eth7: STA yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy RADIUS: starting accounting session 0FB3EE7F53D182C3
Mar 26 12:18:46 hostapd: eth7: STA yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 26 12:18:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[2548]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.0x.0c zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
Mar 26 12:18:47 dnsmasq-dhcp[2548]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0x.0czz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz MY_DEVICE
Mar 26 12:18:53 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
Mar 26 12:19:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth7: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 26 12:19:12 hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated
Mar 26 12:19:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth7: Assoc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 26 12:19:12 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set 
Mar 26 12:19:12 hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx RADIUS: starting accounting session 2515F57C7F5F1D6C
Mar 26 12:19:12 hostapd: eth7: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Mar 26 12:19:12 dnsmasq-dhcp[2548]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.0x.0w xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
Mar 26 12:19:12 dnsmasq-dhcp[2548]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0x.0w xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx OTHER_LOCAL_DEVICE
Mar 26 12:20:05 openvpn: Resetting client (unit 1) to default settings

Last edited:
What issue? This is all perfectly normal. Settings have to be reset before the uploaded config file gets applied, otherwise you would end up with a mixture of the old and the new settings.

Hello Eric, thanks you for answer,

let me insert 3 screen shots, (1) first one are settings (2) second one is screen shot short after, when i upload a file (3) third one is situation couple seconds later.

issue is that the file -=* do not stick *=-. I don't mind resetting to defaults before action / as a first step, but it seems that in my case all settings are reset to defaults after they are set up... which ends up in the starting point.

vpn-non-a.png
vpn-non-b.png
vpn-non-c.png

Last edited:
Look at the settings below after importing your config file. The server address and all the custom settings for instance should now contain what was in the imported file.

It`s perfectly normal for the file name to disappear - once imported, the file is discarded. The router does not use that file, it uses nvram parameters for configuring your client.

Ok, thank you, you were right. My question was builded on the other fact, that previously, i could see the file that was uploaded (strange, because, from what you say now - and what is state of the moment, i shall not.)

After turning VPN Client On, with Automatic Connection ON, i dont see the Leak any more.

HOWEVER :i can no longer connect to the router.

My previous experience was, that when I had NordVpn connected via the Linux console, I could not connect to the router, so every time I had to turn off local VPN (when it was ON) to get in, but now it's different,. VPN is inside the router - I'm locked out of it... do you have any suggestions?

Sure i can do hard reset and set it up again, but without something better, that is just one time solution
Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at router.asus.com.

If that address is correct, here are three other things you can try:

Try again later.
Check your network connection.
If you are connected but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to access the Web.

Last edited:
plug in ethernet cable to both router and laptop while both devices are functional, open internet browser and type in the address bar: http://www.router.asus.com, after connecting to the router site, provide login and password which were set up after factory reset,
viola

Last edited:
oh, bravo, address is different, but that works!
what i suppose to change then?

oh, bravo, address is different, but that works!
what i suppose to change then?
It could be any number of things. I don't know how you've configured your DNS setup. I'd start by looking at what you have set for Accept DNS Configuration in the VPN client.

Default (and set as) is 'Relaxed'

other options are :
Disabled
Strict
Exclusive

I like Strict, because it sounds most as from Spaghetti Western...

EDIT:
i checked all 4 options, non of them work, but this is secondary thing, if the answer is on palm of the hand that is great, if not, not a big deal,

if answer would come, that is great, if not, i feel that answer from the MAIN question is there, so thank you all

vpn_check2.png

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for hint, i did.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!