What's new

OpenVPN client speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lombar

New Around Here
First, thank you everybody for welcomed me.

This is my first post and I must say that I have so much idea about the Asus Wrt although I try to learn quickly.
I have a problem that I'll try to explain:
  • Asus RT-AC88U with firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41994
  • Usual speed using WiFi (I don't have any ethernet device): 440Mb
  • Provider Virgin Media UK (coaxial cable).
  • Virgin Media Smart Hub 4 in modem mode (in this mode there isn't to setup).
My wife, and sometimes me, wants to watch some Spanish streaming providers. It's impossible to do that for region limitations, for the rights of the programs or movies. So I contracted a VPN, Surfshark, that works fine from Android or Apple devices. But now, in my new home, I bought the Asus router to setup the VPN and be available in all TVs of home. So I went to VPN client setup, insert my auth data and a file that I donwloaded from Surfshark website. After activated I had VPN service in all devices and I can watch the streamings.
What is the problem? Without VPN any speed test shows around 400Mb, with VPN the speed is around 20Mb. After contact with SurfShark support the try to solve using another DNS servers, using different setups of the router, ... but no way.

Are there something that I doing bad or not doing? Are there any way to setup a VPN client that only works with a few IPs? I fixed the IP of the TVs between 192.168.1.221 and 225. I read some about setup VPN but seems to be to the server, not for the client. And I don't understand if I can do it from GUI or I must access with WinSCP and look for any file to edit it.

Any help is welcome.

What is the problem? Without VPN any speed test shows around 400Mb, with VPN the speed is around 20Mb.
The max speed the CPU on your router can reach is somewhere between 20 and 70 Mbps, depending on the encryption method used by your VPN provider.

Are there any way to setup a VPN client that only works with a few IPs?

The max speed the CPU on your router can reach is somewhere between 20 and 70 Mbps, depending on the encryption method used by your VPN provider.

I have the same problem, and I've hit the router CPU limiting with speeds about 40-45 mbps and router CPU's pegged out at 100%. So, the question is, is there a router out there in the ASUS line that has more horsepower and is able to generate higher rates. My Nord VPN running on a local PC's/Android device runs 320-380 mbps with ease. Seems like someone should be looking to solve this and sell a lot of routers?

I have a RT-AC86U as my main router, I'm using ProtonVPN and speed, through standard VPN connections to a VPN server farm at around 20 km distance, go up to around 125 Mbit downstream and 25Mbit upstream on average (on a 300/30 Mbit subscription - Coaxial/Docsis 3.0). When using ProtonVPN's 'Secure Core' connections (re-routing via Iceland, Sweden or Switzerland and then back to my own country, my max download speed is around 30~40Mbit and 20Mbit upstream.

I have the same problem, and I've hit the router CPU limiting with speeds about 40-45 mbps and router CPU's pegged out at 100%. So, the question is, is there a router out there in the ASUS line that has more horsepower and is able to generate higher rates.
The BCM4906 and BCM4908 CPU has AES acceleration, which can push throughput to 200-250 Mbps. Anything beyond that would require a desktop-class CPU, which you won't find in any of these home routers.

RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, GT-AX11000, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U and RT-AX68U all have the newer CPU.

First, thank you everybody for welcomed me.

This is my first post and I must say that I have so much idea about the Asus Wrt although I try to learn quickly.
I have a problem that I'll try to explain:
  • Asus RT-AC88U with firmware 9.0.0.4.386_41994
  • Usual speed using WiFi (I don't have any ethernet device): 440Mb
  • Provider Virgin Media UK (coaxial cable).
  • Virgin Media Smart Hub 4 in modem mode (in this mode there isn't to setup).
My wife, and sometimes me, wants to watch some Spanish streaming providers. It's impossible to do that for region limitations, for the rights of the programs or movies. So I contracted a VPN, Surfshark, that works fine from Android or Apple devices. But now, in my new home, I bought the Asus router to setup the VPN and be available in all TVs of home. So I went to VPN client setup, insert my auth data and a file that I donwloaded from Surfshark website. After activated I had VPN service in all devices and I can watch the streamings.
What is the problem? Without VPN any speed test shows around 400Mb, with VPN the speed is around 20Mb. After contact with SurfShark support the try to solve using another DNS servers, using different setups of the router, ... but no way.

Are there something that I doing bad or not doing? Are there any way to setup a VPN client that only works with a few IPs? I fixed the IP of the TVs between 192.168.1.221 and 225. I read some about setup VPN but seems to be to the server, not for the client. And I don't understand if I can do it from GUI or I must access with WinSCP and look for any file to edit it.

Any help is welcome.
I’m having the same issue with my Asus RT-AX58U and NordVPN. However the 3 core processors are never maxed out, but I still only get download speeds of 30Mbps over the VPN even though my normal rate is over 200Mbps.
9DA9DC6C-C883-4AA5-BF1E-BAE55D6B7684.jpeg

What is causing the over 85% decrease in download speed? That’s crazy!

I’m having the same issue with my Asus RT-AX58U and NordVPN. However the 3 core processors are never maxed out, but I still only get download speeds of 30Mbps over the VPN even though my normal rate is over 200Mbps.
View attachment 34266
What is causing the over 85% decrease in download speed? That’s crazy!
Only one core is being used actually and there’s no AES hardware encryption on that model. See list above.

OpenVPN is single threaded, so it can only use one core.

Your speed look normal to me, see post #2 again.

Only one core is being used actually and there’s no AES hardware encryption on that model. See list above.
Can I just disable encryption? I’m only streaming media to my Samsung TV over the VPN

I solved with the mod firmware
I downloaded from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download and installed in my router. After that I go to VPN > Open VPN client and make the setup with the file of Surfshark and their auth data. At the end of the page I select in "Force Internet traffic through tunnel" Policy rules. I must define fixed IP for all my devices. With this I can select the IPs that be routed outside the VPN without speed problems.
I tried to define 192.168.1.0/24 to be routed by WAN and them define the rules for a few inside the VPN but don't work. I don't how to solve it.

Yes I follow it. As it says by default all the lan is through the VPN.
As I only need four internal IPs I thought to apply 192.168.1.0/24 to WAN, and them the 4 IPs to VPN. This not work as I thought.
The combination that works for me is to write the IPs that I don't want by the VPN. And for this I must to assign a fixed IP for every device and them I assign they don't use the VPN.

Are there any way to do this with less work?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!