What's new

OpenVPN in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stasheck

New Around Here
I would like to run OpenVPN server on my RT-AC66U (since the setup is pretty straightforward). However, it currently works in AP mode - my internet gateway is a Linux server, on which I host a numer of services already. I don't want it to host OpenVPN as well, but I can easily forward traffic to RT-AC66U using iptables.

I don't see an option anywhere to enable OpenVPN on internal (LAN) interface of RT. In general, I'm OK with switching to Wireless Router mode, but still WAN port will be unused.

Can anyone help me?

Since others haven't replied...

I cannot give you the complete answer, but in AP mode, the device turns dumb...It turns off many services, VPN, firewall?, probably anything to do with any kind of routing/WAN. Much to the chagrin of myself and others hoping to separate normal and guest SSID's in AP mode. If you can get everything working in Wireless Router mode, you are a much better network admin than me. Not saying too much though on that point...

Good luck!

In simple terms, AP mode basically turns the device into a wireless switch. All other functions are handled at the gateway, just like they are if you plug a network cable into a normal switch.