What's new

OpenVPN on Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin FW - Need help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mirko

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I hope I can find help here or atleast some useful answers. Cause I have absolutely no explanation for that and I don`t know what to do.

So, I`m using OpenVPN on my Asus RT-AC68U Router. A leading VPN-Provider with possibly the highest performance you can get.

I had issues with the Connection-Speeds on various VPN Server-Locations before, had a 100k WiFi-Cable Connection and no matter where I connected, I always got a max of 20k Download with a VPN. I heard different stories on that: My Internet Connection is too low with 100k, I couldn`t expect more, the Router is to weak to handle higher performance of the VPN (if that`s true I`m asking myself how people on YouTube managed to get proper Speed with the same Router), but most times I heard: Your connection is too weak.

So guess what - I upgraded my Connection a few days ago now - I got an 1 Gigabyte (1000k) Connection now. And I`m getting around 950k using my ISP.

The strange thing is: On my VPN-Connection nothing changed. Seriously nothing. I`m still getting a max of 20k on EVERY connection in Download, the Upload is with around 50k pretty normal.

Can anybody explain that to me?! I`m pretty frustrated. I don`t expect VPN-Speeds around 500k or things like that, but I really think that with my current Speed I could expect atleast 100k! Anybody any ideas what I could do?!

The AC68U CPU is the bottleneck.

1 Gigabit = 1024 Megabits. Are you getting Kilobit speed or Megabit? Kilobit would be a concern. Megabit would be closer to the router’s CPU capabilities.

Sorry, maybe it was misleading. My Router says my ISP provides 1150 Mbit/s in Download. And yeah, I know that I can`t expect Top-Performance with that Connection from the Router but keep getting stuck at 20k max there although my ISP is firing nearly 1150 MB to the Asus? I just don`t get it.

Last edited:
I use NordVPN and the most I can get using my RT-AC68U is 52 Mbps.

I don't know what you mean by 60k. 60 kbps (kilobits per second) would be completely unusable. Maybe you mean 60 Mbps (megabits per second ) or 60 kB/s (kilobytes per second)?

I use NordVPN and the most I can get using my RT-AC68U is 52 Mbps.

I don't know what you mean by 60k. 60 kbps (kilobits per second) would be completely unusable. Maybe you mean 60 Mbps (megabits per second ) or 60 kB/s (kilobytes per second)?

Hahahaha. Sorry. My fault. we use "k" here for thousand so 60k = 60.000 . NordVPN is pretty good too. I got an account there as well and they represent the same results. So if both of these Providers come up with that chances are pretty high that it would be the same with any other VPN as well if not even lower, huh?

Unfortunate though that higher speeds with OpenVPN seem to be difficult. I mean one could use L2TP instead but there is no Auto-Connection there and no settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!