What's new

OpenVPN on the LAN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thrawn

New Around Here
Firstly, I am not sure what to search for on the forums so although I did try to search, I might have missed something. If so, I apologize.

I Just installed the ASUSWRT Merlin firmware on my router because I am experiencing an LED bug with the original ASUS firmware.
Everything seems to be running smoothly, but my OpenVPN server is acting…differently. Its not a problem as such but I would love to understand why it does what it does:

So, before Merlin I could connect to my routers OpenVPN server at any point from my devices (using iPhone as a test device) be it on my LAN or on WAN. Now though I can only connect when I am on my 4g network…not when I am on my LAN. When I AM connected the connection stays no matter what my connection is. Again, its not really a problem since the VPN server is only supposed to be used when I am not on LAN. But can anyone explain to me in eh…noob language why it does this now?

Thank you all in advance

/Thrawn

Firstly, I am not sure what to search for on the forums so although I did try to search, I might have missed something. If so, I apologize.

I Just installed the ASUSWRT Merlin firmware on my router because I am experiencing an LED bug with the original ASUS firmware.
Everything seems to be running smoothly, but my OpenVPN server is acting…differently. Its not a problem as such but I would love to understand why it does what it does:

So, before Merlin I could connect to my routers OpenVPN server at any point from my devices (using iPhone as a test device) be it on my LAN or on WAN. Now though I can only connect when I am on my 4g network…not when I am on my LAN. When I AM connected the connection stays no matter what my connection is. Again, its not really a problem since the VPN server is only supposed to be used when I am not on LAN. But can anyone explain to me in eh…noob language why it does this now?

Thank you all in advance

/Thrawn

Thrawn, welcome to the forum.

i can’t give you an explanation, but I can tell you what I’ve noticed. I run both OpenVPN servers. One is set to the udp protocol and the other I set to Port 443 using the tcp protocol. The latter often allows me to connect when a public wifi has taken steps to block vpn connections. Inside my LAN I can connect to the tcp OpenVPN server, but not to the server using the udp protocol. Merlin mentioned this behaviour a few years back. If I can find it, I’ll post a link. It’s not an explanation, so much as a statement of fact, as I remember..
Anyway, on the face of it, your system is probably behaving exactly as it should and there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Tv
Thrawn, welcome to the forum.

i can’t give you an explanation, but I can tell you what I’ve noticed. I run both OpenVPN servers. One is set to the udp protocol and the other I set to Port 443 using the tcp protocol. The latter often allows me to connect when a public wifi has taken steps to block vpn connections. Inside my LAN I can connect to the tcp OpenVPN server, but not to the server using the udp protocol. Merlin mentioned this behaviour a few years back. If I can find it, I’ll post a link. It’s not an explanation, so much as a statement of fact, as I remember..
Anyway, on the face of it, your system is probably behaving exactly as it should and there’s nothing to be concerned about.
Thank you so very much for your welcome and answer
As long as I can connect to my vpn and servers at home the vpn works as I need it to
Was just wondering what the difference could be between stock firmware and merlin that caused it
Curiosity apparently killed some cats so maybe I should leave it alone

Tv

Thank you so very much for your welcome and answer
As long as I can connect to my vpn and servers at home the vpn works as I need it to
Was just wondering what the difference could be between stock firmware and merlin that caused it
Curiosity apparently killed some cats so maybe I should leave it alone

I found what I was part remembering: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/connect-to-openvpn-from-same-lan.48764/post-429771

Yes indeed, curiosity killed the cat. As you imply, the trick is to know when to leave well alone and when to dig deeper. But I’m surprised you find a difference in behaviour between stock and Merlin in that specific area. No matter, I’m sure now that you’re on Merlin’s firmware you’ll never look back.

Once again thank you so much :)
I will take a look at your link.
Well...hopefully i will stay :) so far it fixed the bug that got me to try it (LEDS not staying off at reboot)
But one the other hand I have encountered the VPN difference wich I can live with and a from time to time the some of the GUI pages does not load completely....again something I can live with since it does not seem to affect usability...at least from what i noticed so far :).

My OpenVPN et set to both. I will see what happens if i change to TCP alone :)

Again thank you so much for your help and your time :) It is very much appreciated :D

Funny that..the OpenVPN on my synology I CAN still access on my LAN.....Ima get killed like the cats...I’m sure of it :O

Funny that..the OpenVPN on my synology I CAN still access on my LAN.....Ima get killed like the cats...I’m sure of it :O
Edit:
So i figured out you did not mean TCP/UDP at port forwarding but at the OpenVPN settings...funny thing is when TCP i can not connect at all :O but i can via UDP

Edit:
So i figured out you did not mean TCP/UDP at port forwarding but at the OpenVPN settings...funny thing is when TCP i can not connect at all :O but i can via UDP
Yes, correct: nothing to do with port forwarding but the protocol of the OpenVPN connection. (And my vpn network type is TUN, as opposed to TAP; I’m sure yours will be, too.)
Funny old thing, but so long as you can connect remotely....