What's new

OpenVPN ports 1025-65535

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RSengine

Occasional Visitor
My ASUS router's OpenVPN configuration page says "Due to security concerns, we suggest using a port from 1025 to 65535". I've been setting my port as 443 to mask my VPN packets as HTTPS traffic when travelling. I couldn't find anything about VPN security on Google with regard to ports 1025 to 65535. Am I sacrificing some security as a result of setting my port as 443?

Where are you seeing that message? I can't see it myself. What router model do you have?

On a normal Linux system ports <1024 are "system ports" that can only be bound to by root and therefore has security implications. That's rather academic on an Asus router IMHO as just about everything runs as root.

Where are you seeing that message? I can't see it myself. What router model do you have?

It seems that message appears when AiCloud 2.0's Web access port is set as 443 in http://router.asus.com/cloud_settings.asp (even if AiCloud 2.0 is disabled, like it is in my router). Changing that to something else made the message disappear.

On a normal Linux system ports <1024 are "system ports" that can only be bound to by root and therefore has security implications. That's rather academic on an Asus router IMHO as just about everything runs as root.

Could a client connected via VPN somehow run commands as root on my router without knowing the admin login then?

Could a client connected via VPN somehow run commands as root on my router without knowing the admin login then?
No, although I'm not saying it's impossible because all software has the potential to contain bugs. But OpenVPN is very secure and reliable making that extremely unlikely.