What's new

OpenVPN RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

outlaw78

Regular Contributor
I have a problem I can't figure out. I use open VPN on my RT-AC5300 running Merlin 384.14_2. I have both servers running. One is configured for TCP 443 and the other is configured for UDP 443. They are both configured the same way and both work fine with with the official android openVPN app. However, a while back when I was having problems with Sprint LTE network and having to use the MSFIX option, I downloaded a program called OpenVPN for android which is way more customizable than the official OpenVPN app. Specifically, I wanted the "Override MSS value of TCP payload" option in the third party app rather than having to edit config files on my phone (easy of usability).

I used the same config file generated by the openVPN server on the router for both apps so I'm not sure where in lies the problem. This only happens on the third party app when using TCP VPN. The UDP connects with no errors with the third party app.

Below is the system log from the asus router (with obvious personal identifying info censored).

Jan 20 19:22:38 ovpn-server2[8973]: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1571', remote='link-mtu 1551'
Jan 20 19:22:38 ovpn-server2[8973]: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX WARNING: 'cipher' is used inconsistently, local='cipher AES-256-CBC', remote='cipher AES-128-GCM'
Jan 20 19:22:38 ovpn-server2[8973]: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX WARNING: 'auth' is used inconsistently, local='auth SHA256', remote='auth [null-digest]'
Jan 20 19:22:38 ovpn-server2[8973]: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 256', remote='keysize 128'

The configuration is pictured below, which is the same for both TCP and UDP.
Items not pictured:
RSA 2048
Client will use VPN to access: Both
Capture.PNG

I just like the third party app for the ability to configure and it gives more details about the current connection.