What's new

Openvpn server intermittently down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I have an openvpn server running on an ASUS RT-AX88U. Merlin FW 3904.388.5.

Runs fine for a few days, then when I try to connect from a remote client I can't connect. Reboot the router and all is good.

Anyone else have this problem and can recommend a solution.

Many thanks.

I have an openvpn server running on an ASUS RT-AX88U. Merlin FW 3904.388.5.

Runs fine for a few days, then when I try to connect from a remote client I can't connect. Reboot the router and all is good.

Anyone else have this problem and can recommend a solution.

Many thanks.
I run 2 OpenVPN servers on my router. I presume you are only running one, otherwise you would have mentioned the status of the second server. One advantage of running 2 servers is that, in a situation like you’re facing, you can see if the other server is behaving similarly, and order your troubleshooting accordingly. If you do have 2 servers running, does the other one act up; if you don’t run 2 servers, perhaps you might do so?

(One. Of my servers is UDP on an obscure port; the other is TCP on 443.)

I faced the same issue with my RT-AC88U a while back and started this post. It addressed the unresponsive VPN server and I never determined the root cause. I recently replaced the router with the RT-AX88U and was hoping the workaround would not be necessary.

Thank you for the link. I may have to do that. I have just created a second instance of openvpn and running TCP on 443. So I have Vpns on different ports. I'm waiting for the next fail to see if it effects both vpns or just one. I was wondering if availability shuts down if the ports get scanned by bits which causes unavailability for me.

Thank you for the link. I may have to do that. I have just created a second instance of openvpn and running TCP on 443. So I have Vpns on different ports. I'm waiting for the next fail to see if it effects both vpns or just one. I was wondering if availability shuts down if the ports get scanned by bits which causes unavailability for me.
If you run one of the servers on Port 443 using the TCP protocol, there are one or 2 things to be aware of. You could have a look here:

And if you need to dig deeper, just search using “OpenVPN server port 443” in the forum.