What's new

OpenVPN server not showing all clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WFO

Occasional Visitor
Hello, have an odd problem that I'm hoping someone has an answer for. After doing a full reset on my router and resetting up my VPN server on the router my clients can now only see network devices such as switches, printers, the router etc. but none of the computers on the network. Or maybe it's computers on the network can't see the VPN clients as they can't ping them either. I've reset the router and even tried installing a completely separate router also running Merlin with the same results. Everything worked perfectly fine before resetting the router, this is driving me crazy. Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Router model? Firmware version?

Have you changed the subnet range of the VPN server, e.g. was 10.8.0.0 and is now 10.16.0.0 ?

If this is only effecting PCs have you made the appropriate changes to their firewall rules to allow access from the VPN clients? You can test this by temporarily turning off the PC's firewall.

Last edited:
Router model? Firmware version?

Have you changed the subnet range of the VPN server, e.g. was 10.8.0.0 and is now 10.16.0.0 ?

If this is only effecting PCs have you made the appropriate changes to their firewall rules to allow access from the VPN clients? You can test this by temporarily turning off the PC's firewall.
Hello,

It is a RT-AC3200, also had tried swapping in a reset RT-AC87U with same results. Running firmware 384.13_10. I have not tried changing the IP range, left it at the 10.8.0.0 that I had before the reset and have not changed any configuration on the PCs firewalls. They are mostly Windows with the server I am trying to access running a flavor of Linux I believe. I'll also note that the router is unable to ping clients on the VPN using the network tools I just discovered, I thought that was able to ping fine.

Ok, tested the firewalls as you suggested and it does appear to be the problem. Once disabled I can ping that PC. Still not sure why suddenly every single firewall would have a problem with it though when they never did before. Also I do not have control over the server I need to access so will need to contact the vendor for any changes there.

Still not sure why suddenly every single firewall would have a problem with it though when they never did before.
Are you sure the VPN config is the same as it was before.

Perhaps you were using a bridged (TAP) connection rather than a routed (TUN) one? (EDIT: I guess it must be the same otherwise you would have had to recreate the profile on the client)

Is this a single client connecting to your VPN server or is it a LAN to LAN setup?

Are you sure the VPN config is the same as it was before.

Perhaps you were using a bridged (TAP) connection rather than a routed (TUN) one? (EDIT: I guess it must be otherwise you would have had to recreate the profile on the client)

Is this a single client connecting to your VPN server or is it a LAN to LAN setup?

I can't be 100% sure, I had printer out my setting from before the wipe and misplaced them somewhere. I recreated the profiles on client because after resetting the router had a new certificate for the VPN so it wouldn't connect so I may have goofed up more on it.

It is a single client connecting using the OpenVPN client.

It's possible you were using a TAP connection before (some devices don't support this though). You wouldn't need to make any firewall changes with that.

Just beware that most mobile devices do NOT support bridged tunnels, only routed.
Android has it available... been using it for years (the old version anyway) same developer

VPNclientpro