What's new

OpenVPN Server Redirect Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
I had this working some versions ago and the behavior I was looking for has changed, I think perhaps around the time the options for a client to use the server to connect to LAN/Internet/Both. I have my option set to both. What I want is sometimes to connect to the server for only lan traffic, and sometimes for both.

I connect to my 87U OpenVPN from one of two categories of locations. The first is a public hotspot (e.g., airport), where I want all my traffic to go down the tunnel and out to the internet from my server location. The second is from a secure location, where I want internet traffic not to go down the tunnel, but LAN traffic to go down the tunnel. In the second case I want to use my higher bandwidth.

I use to do this by having the server config not include the push redirect-gateway command, and have two client cfg files, one with the redirect-gateway command, and the other not. Tracert told me that worked as I expected.

In 384.9, it seems that the server config file always contains the push redirect-gateway command. This is true if I manually edit it the config file to comment out the line. If I turn the server off and then on, the config file is regenerated, so I can't figure out how to avoid it.

I use one server on port 1194, and one a backup on port 443, and I would prefer not to have one set for LAN and one for both, although that is possible.

Is there some way to revert to the prior behavior?

upload_2019-2-27_21-52-28.png

Got it, thanks.

So to be explicit "LAN only" pushes the route so you can reach the LAN, but doesn't redirect Internet traffic. That allows the client side to redirect Internet traffic.
"Internet only" redirects the Internet traffic, but doesn't push the route to reach the LAN. That allows the client side to add the route, if it knows it.
"Both" pushes the route and redirects Internet traffic, and the client can't change that.

Tricky word, "only". I thought it meant "couldn't reach the other".