What's new

OpenVPN stuck in initialization after 384.4_2 update on RT-AC66U_B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MP35FJ

New Around Here
So I finally updated firmware from legacy 380, and it seems like the OpenVPN server is "stuck" - it never starts running ("Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection"). I have a dumb question - I did do a factory default restore (both via the GUI and also trying the reset button on the router), I had expected that to wipe all settings, but I still have all my wireless settings, all the VPN keys and certs settings, does that mean that somehow the unit was not restore to factory defaults?

So I finally updated firmware from legacy 380, and it seems like the OpenVPN server is "stuck" - it never starts running ("Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection"). I have a dumb question - I did do a factory default restore (both via the GUI and also trying the reset button on the router), I had expected that to wipe all settings, but I still have all my wireless settings, all the VPN keys and certs settings, does that mean that somehow the unit was not restore to factory defaults?
The reset button is only clear setting but not full wipe. To do complete factory reset, it is done via holding WPS button and powering on OR using a software reset to Factory Defaults via Initialise button.

Regards to the vpnserver, I assumed u saying unable to start after a reboot. Are you able to manually enable it after the reboot?
Maybe you also want to post your syslog after the reboot to see what happened.

So I did another factory default Initialize and it finally seemed to work. I then reloaded all the VPN server certs and it's up and running fine. I'm not sure why the first factory initialize didn't work, but it's all OK now

Had the same problem when upgrading to 384.10_2 from 2 versions before this one. Hitting "apply" on the general page seemed to fix it without needing to factory reset.

Mine VPN server has randomly reverted back to this too.

"Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish"

Previously, only a full factory reset has fixed it.

I just hope it's not a sign of a hardware issue and is just software related.

I will do a full factory reset though (I assume via the GUI is fine) and replace the USB stick just in case, which I assume means I will lose traffic stats etc with no way to copy that over...

Any advice appreciated.

I've got the same issue. It happens since my provider has a problem with DNS.

Check two things
1) If your router updates time, go to System Log and look at System Time. Doesn't it correspond to a current time or it's stuck in 2018 ?
2) Do you use DDNS? If so.... check if it updates - mine didn't.

My solution was: go to WAN: IP_Address_Of_Your_ROUTER/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp select in DNS Privacy Protocol: DNS-over-TLS (DoT)
and add three DNS servers

it would be available in the Preset servers list (just select it and add). Once you finish reboot your your router.

I just had this issue with a remote office that is running a slightly older firmware, a few revs back (Don't remember which offhand). Hitting Apply as fusionstream suggested seemed to fix it. The router cannot be updated or even rebooted at this moment, but it will be soon.

Hi,
For those who are bored off doing hard reset of their router try this work around (it worked well for me). Go into the Web GUI of your Asus Router and click VPN --> OpenVPN than next to VPN Details (drop down menu), select "Advanced Settings". At the bottom of the page there is now a box saying "Custom Configuration". Copy all the text present into this field and save it into a .txt file (just in case you need it in the future). Erase all the text present into this field and click apply. The VPN should be up and running.
You may need to reconfigure your device(s)/client(s) with the OpenVPN Configuration file, but I prefer that route instead of having to reconfigure my router each and every time the VPN won't start.

Hope it will help some folks.

Thank you!

Hi,
For those who are bored off doing hard reset of their router try this work around (it worked well for me). Go into the Web GUI of your Asus Router and click VPN --> OpenVPN than next to VPN Details (drop down menu), select "Advanced Settings". At the bottom of the page there is now a box saying "Custom Configuration". Copy all the text present into this field and save it into a .txt file (just in case you need it in the future). Erase all the text present into this field and click apply. The VPN should be up and running.
You may need to reconfigure your device(s)/client(s) with the OpenVPN Configuration file, but I prefer that route instead of having to reconfigure my router each and every time the VPN won't start.

Hope it will help some folks.

Thank you!
thanks! it worked well, now VPN server started to work without any need of re-configuring the clients - thank you!