What's new

OpenVPN with a non-static IP address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
At the moment I have a fixed IP address with Plusnet, but I'm not sure if that will be the case when BT finally sort out the mess of moving me onto their full fibre internet. My question is, assuming I don't have a fixed IP address after the changeover, will I still be able to log into my router via OpenVPN and access my network folders/files as I can at the moment?

At the moment I have a fixed IP address with Plusnet, but I'm not sure if that will be the case when BT finally sort out the mess of moving me onto their full fibre internet. My question is, assuming I don't have a fixed IP address after the changeover, will I still be able to log into my router via OpenVPN and access my network folders/files as I can at the moment?
Sure, if BT uses "real" IP addresses and not private IP addresses. Use DDNS and you are all set!

Oh, that sounds promising. I've never used DDNS before, so can you tell me the steps I would need to follow to set it up? I guess I won't be able to test it for a week or two though as BT has completely messed up my transfer, so I don't currently have a precise date for the changeover to take place (can you believe, they cancelled my original order placed on 6th November, without any explanation and after waiting for 45 minutes this evening to talk to a customer advisor, I was told that they cannot raise a new order until the original changeover date has passed, even though a couple of days ago another advisor told me that the original date would still be used. Not a good start methinks!

Oh, that sounds promising. I've never used DDNS before, so can you tell me the steps I would need to follow to set it up? I guess I won't be able to test it for a week or two though as BT has completely messed up my transfer, so I don't currently have a precise date for the changeover to take place (can you believe, they cancelled my original order placed on 6th November, without any explanation and after waiting for 45 minutes this evening to talk to a customer advisor, I was told that they cannot raise a new order until the original changeover date has passed, even though a couple of days ago another advisor told me that the original date would still be used. Not a good start methinks!
You are using an ASUS router? It includes a free built in DDNS which you setup using the GUI. Go to the WAN section then the TAB for DDNS and set it up. You probably will then have to setup your VPN server again and it will use you DDNS to link to what your public IP is.

Once DDNS is set-up on the router, you just need to replace your static IP in the client ovpn file by the DDNS name, and there go you ....

You are using an ASUS router? It includes a free built in DDNS which you setup using the GUI. Go to the WAN section then the TAB for DDNS and set it up. You probably will then have to setup your VPN server again and it will use you DDNS to link to what your public IP is.
I'm using an RT-AX88U.

Thanks Guys. Can I set this up now in preparation while I still have a fixed IP address or do I have to wait until my service changes to BT?

Great. I'll "dip my toe in the water" later today and see what happens.

I've just had a quick look at the DDNS page and there is a question I need to answer, but I don't know which option I need to choose. It's this one...
Screenshot - 19_11_2021 , 07_43_48.png

mine is external with www.no-ip.com ... but of course this needs an account with no-ip ....

I've not had to change anything with the VPN setup to be able to connect and I'm not sure what changes I would need to make if I did.
The attachment shows how DDNS is set up at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 19_11_2021 , 09_32_02.png
    Screenshot - 19_11_2021 , 09_32_02.png
    503.5 KB · Views: 158
correct, no changes in the VPN Server itself, as said just in the opvpn client file ....

Your DDNS page looks good. To test it, edit the .ovpn file in your vpn client. Look for line remote where your public IP address is, then replace it with xxx.asuscomm.com. You may need to re-import the file.

Yes, replace the fixed IP address with your DDNS address, keep the port number.
You may want to delete the screenshot if that is your fixed IP.

It's all working now, thanks to the expert advice from you guys, so thanks for that. Hopefully it will still work when BT have switched me onto their FTTP service.

I've just noticed this on the Network page. Can anyone tell me what it means?
Screenshot - 21_11_2021 , 16_27_00.png

This is your Asus DDNS with Let's Encrypt certificate. You don't need this certificate for your OpenVPN server.