What's new

OpenVPN with static IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sabbath81

Regular Contributor
Hello Guys,
im running latest Merlin release on AX88U, incl. Diversion and Skynet.
OpenVPN server is running, and it generates a file using the DDNS of the router.
What changes i should make in order to make the VPN works with the static IP?

editing the openvpn client file with the IP doesnt seem to work, as the connection fails.

Thank you

Are you talking about the .ovpn file that is imported by the client device? If so I'm assuming you're referring to the remote line? That is indeed the line you simply change with your public IP and port, e.g.
Code:
remote 80.77.88.222 13130

So you're saying the VPN works OK using the DDNS name but not when using its IP address?

Are you talking about the .ovpn file that is imported by the client device? If so I'm assuming you're referring to the remote line? That is indeed the line you simply change with your public IP and port, e.g.
Code:
remote 80.77.88.222 13130

So you're saying the VPN works OK using the DDNS name but not when using its IP address?
Yes, using the IP doesnt seem to work, connection is not established.

It is the same, confirmed. Ddns resolves to the same IP.
Strange, it should work without issue. I've had to do this myself in the past.

Do you see any incoming connection attempts in the router's syslog? If so post those messages here for us to look at.

If there are no messages on the router look at the client's log file.

You are testing this from outside your LAN (i.e. from the internet)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!