What's new

Optimum Settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beamforming from my research on this site is more dependant on the clients you have connecting to your access point.

If all your clients are AC use it they are required to support beamforming properly.

N clients however aren't and depending on the client may or may not function properly. They may drop down to single stream connections which negates any benefits of the beamforming.

Also, people seem to only be getting marginal benefits from beamforming at mid range. At shorter or longer distances there seems to be no benefit in speed or signal with beamforming.

I personally just leave it off as I would rather avoid all potential problems than maybe marginally help them.

Last edited:
Optimum settings, too subjective to give even a single correct answer.

Decide your own requirements and priorities for the features your router offers.
Research all the settings.
Test the settings in your environment.
Take measurements and record results.
Select settings based on results that meet your requirements and priorities the test.

My experience is that even CISCO's own documentation is not always right for all configurations/environments, other peoples recommendations are frequently too situational and do not automatically generalise (not verified), be especially wary of people who suggest tweaks without even giving any indication of real world before/after differences, alone providing measurements.

I could recommend you don't use AI protect because it induces 1000ms of lag to my connection, but that is only on my internet connection on my router with my devices connected. You may decide AI protect is too important a feature to not turn off, testing may find you get less or even more lag than I experience. You may not decide that amount of additional lag is of acceptable level for your uses.

If all your clients are AC use it they are required to support beamforming properly.

11AC beamforming is an optional feature and does not need to be implemented by a WiFi device to be 11AC compliant, though in reality I've not seen any devices that do not :)

Last edited:
But the guy still doesn't understand what Preamble Type is. ;) And his grasp of the English language leaves something to be desired. :p

IMHO He'd be better off if he did some proper independent research rather than just cutting and pasting other people's blogs, forum posts, etc.

I did spot this in the first few paragraphs (not time to read further):

"However, the Hardware Acceleration can boost your router a lot, especially for NAT, the internet speed once you have a large number of devices"
This is kind of poor explanation and lack of example/metrics that could lead you to conclude to turn NAT acceleration off because you only have a few devices, when infact just having one device consuming a lot of bandwidth WILL make a difference.

Its the total bandwidth being processed (as every packet has be analysed and header changed with different source IP and ports).

Is this due to language barrier or lack of understanding ?

Last edited:
Eh, I can't fault someone for speaking poor English, especially when it implies that the author is biligual, which the majority of my country (USA) is not.

Copy&paste it may be, but I never saw a "this info is all mine" statement, and I see nothing wrong with aggregating data.

Without references we can't even check if its a copy and paste error, misinterpretation by the author, outdated info, which makes it harder for us to check the accuracy and understand/correct errors and omissions, we can only go direct to the author or do Google guesswork.

I am not saying or imply the article is useless, just commenting why copy/pasting without reference can be troublesome.