What's new

options for setting up network behind locked down router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loady

I am on talktalk uk, they supply me with a dlink dsl 3782, basically this cannot be put into modem mode and a work around allowing passthrough does not work and is flaky at best, i want access to my server in another room that is wired to another router in repeater mode (asus RT-N66U),,, unfortunately in repeater mode openvpn cant be used, i can run openvpn on the server but i want to be able to turn it on via WOL, i also have a spare RT-N16 router, so can i some way gain access remotley to the RT-N66U without having to look to the dsl 3782 ?

Alas, in repeater mode there is no setting for DDNS...cant beleive that an isp company do not give the option to put thier routers in to modem mode, allowing me to use my own router.

Double NAT?

With no access to ISP router settings -> Double NAT (possible UPnP, SSL, VPN, DDNS issues)
With access to ISP router settings -> Bridge Mode or Your Router in DMZ

With no access to ISP router settings -> Double NAT (possible UPnP, SSL, VPN, DDNS issues)
With access to ISP router settings -> Bridge Mode or Your Router in DMZ

sounds interesting, there is a bridge mode but it doesnt work properly when i tried, i have since come accross this...

Re: DLINK DSL-3782 bridge/modem mode
For reference, just in case it might be helpful to others:

I switched off the Talktalk router. Connected a laptop to the Asus via network cable. Set the Asus to router only as described here: https://www.asus.com/my/support/FAQ/1016292/

Then switched off the Asus, connected to the TalkTalk router via a network cable, followed the steps in the screenshots a few posts above, switched off wifi on the TalkTalk router.

Finally, I connected the TT and the Asus via cable - note the cable must go in the specific port specified when setting up the Asus as router only.

It all worked fine, except there was no internal DNS: \\mynas no longer found the NAS, but connecting to the specific IP address of the NAS worked. Most home users do not have a NAS or similar device whose name needs to be resolved, so they wouldn't even notice.

I followed the steps described here:

https://unfinishedbitness.info/2015/05/26/asuswrt-finalized-setup/

to set the internal DNS (LAN on the left bar of the Asus menu -> DHCP and DNS on the right) to the IP of the router (in my case, 192.168.1.1) and it all worked fine.

Oh, I also set the WAN DNS to Google's , so Talk Talk can no longer hijack the page if an address is wrong.

does it sound as though it might work for me, my only concern is that i have set a static ip fpr my server but it does show up its name in network map when connected

Last edited:
Maybe put the quoted text in the previous post inside a QUOTE block just to make it clear that it's a cut and paste from the other site and not actually something you have done yourself.

i think the way described there is going to require the use of another router, given that i want to connect the server via a wireless bridge, the way described there suggests that i put the dls 3782 into bridge mode, disable DHCP, set up the asus n66u in WAN mode and connect it to the dsl3782...this would then give me the asus n66u as the main router ?, then could i use my old RTn16 as a repeater to connect to the server in another room ?..my thinking that i could connect remotley to the N66U and turn server on via WOL and then use openvpn to connect to server remotley ?

i think i am half way there, seems the dsl 3782 doesnt always save the settings first time, now i have the DHCP disabled and wifi disabled on it and now the asus N66U has a wan IP and my devices are connected to it...

Now, can i setup my openvpn on the N66u and connect to the network remotley and turn on my server via the N16 in repeater mode to it ?.

You can, but RT-N66U can’t give you more than 10Mbps on OpenVPN and this RT-N16 on 2.4GHz will be very dependent on WiFi congestion around your place. I don’t know what server you are talking about, but I’ll replace both routers to bring the network to AC standards. Huge performance difference.

You can, but RT-N66U can’t give you more than 10Mbps on OpenVPN and this RT-N16 on 2.4GHz will be very dependent on WiFi congestion around your place. I don’t know what server you are talking about, but I’ll replace both routers to bring the network to AC standards. Huge performance difference.

what models would i be looking at to upgrade as cheaply as possible.

i did speed test connected to the n16 and i am getting full speed that i expect from my isp

What is your ISP speed?
RT-N16 may give you up to 144Mbps link on 20MHz channel. 40MHz channels are practically unusable in urban areas.

what models would i be looking at to upgrade as cheaply as possible.

i did speed test connected to the n16 and i am getting full speed that i expect from my isp
If you get what you want and your limits are ISP/line, why change anything? N16 will be well done in your case.
Here people are talking about 1Gb/s speed from ISP, than it will be a bottleneck, not in your case!

You can change your network as soon as you get fast line or fibre, but then you will get cheaper AX devices with full Wi-Fi 6 support.

Last edited:
What is your ISP speed?
RT-N16 may give you up to 144Mbps link on 20MHz channel. 40MHz channels are practically unusable in urban areas.

i get 35mbps downstream and upto 10mbs upstream, the rtn16 says this...

Parent AP status :
Connected
Band: 2.4GHz
Link rate: 117 Mbps

If you get what you want and your limits are ISP/line, why change anything? N16 will be well done in your case.
Here people are talking about 1Gb/s speed from ISP, than it will be a bottleneck, not in your case!

You can change your network as soon as you get fast line or fiber, but then you will get cheaper AX devices with full Wi-Fi 6 support.

my connection fibre but its adsl, im supposed to get 'upto' 70mbs but for me the upload speed is more important as i will be streaming from my server, my upload seems to be rock solid at upto 10mbs