What's new

Orbi AC3000 - Worst router ever?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danbord

New Around Here
I bought the 2 device system (router and satellite) a couple month ago, didn't really bothered about the satellite; in fact I tought it was working, but it seems wasn't connected properly.

Now its summer time and I need my wifi farther outside my home, so I tried connecting it. Here's where the trouble began :
  • First tried ethernet lan backhauled.
    That just doesn't seem to work, even worse, when I plug it in the router web interface is jammed, I need to disconnect it to make it work again.
  • Then tried wireless backhaul.
    Getting the blue led, it appears on the devices list, its connected. But there is no internet connection on device that connects to it although my internet works fine.

• Tried multiple reboot, or different configurations, no help
  • I updated the firmware to the latest (2.5.1.16) on both device (struggling to do that on the satellite)
  • I tried to manually reset both devices to factory settings.

• Tried to contact support, just to realize that its only valid for 3 months??? WHATT?
    I find that pretty frustrating.

• Not only the web interface is slow as hell; it also does not refresh properly :
    example: When I power off my sattellite and refresh my device list in the interface, the Satellite still shows, connected with Good connection.
I bought that router after reading the great review on SNB. But now I think it is the worst product I have ever purchased. Please change my mind.

I have/had an Orbi setup (not the model you have, but a smaller one). These are the lessons I have learned with mine:
  1. It remembers the last "backhaul" method configured.
What this means, is depending on how you last had it configured, it will boot this way. It is not smart enough to switch back and forth and update correctly. What I have done is plugged in a wired backhaul and turn on the satellite. The main Orbi unit and the satellite will go through a "hooking up" phase that can last for many minutes. Once complete you can refresh the Main unit, and see the satellite connected, good, and wired. It will remember this configuration. If you want a wireless backhaul ... turn off satellite, unplug the wired, and restart satellite, it should go back through the "hooking up" phase.

2. You can manually update the satellite's firmware by logging directly into the satellite. Get the IP Address and log into it using the same username/password as the main unit.

3. Be patient with it, the UI for it is slow, and the mesh can take many minutes to complete and refresh correctly. It works, you just have to be super patient with it.

4. I never had an issue with the Orbi, however, my house is a bit smaller, so my clients always connected to the satellite - and I found it hard to control the Transmit Power level on the satellite (to help client's roam). Ultimately, I moved away from it only for that reason. It is my back up in case my current network fails for any reason.​

• First tried ethernet lan backhauled.
    That just doesn't seem to work, even worse, when I plug it in the router web interface is jammed, I need to disconnect it to make it work again.
You have to wireless connect the RBS to the RBR first. Once this happens, then connect a good quality LAN cable between the RBR and RBS. CAT6 is recommended.
Is there LAN switch in between? What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/Wh...and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
  • Then tried wireless backhaul.
    Getting the blue led, it appears on the devices list, its connected. But there is no internet connection on device that connects to it although my internet works fine.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

• Tried multiple reboot, or different configurations, no help
  • I updated the firmware to the latest (2.5.1.16) on both device (struggling to do that on the satellite)
If you didn't succeed in getting the RBS update, then the RBS may not work right or sync right to the RBR. The RBS needs to be on the same version as the RBR. This needs to be done first thing.
What you need to do is factory reset the RBS and RBSY. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC.
Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR.

• I tried to manually reset both devices to factory settings.

• Tried to contact support, just to realize that its only valid for 3 months??? WHATT?
    I find that pretty frustrating.

• Not only the web interface is slow as hell; it also does not refresh properly :
    example: When I power off my sattellite and refresh my device list in the interface, the Satellite still shows, connected with Good connection.
Sometimes it takes the web page a few minutes to update the data displayed on the web page. Be patient.

Thought the Orbi system seems to be a hassle, once you get things setup right, it will work for you. Some conditions needs to be observed. Placement is key and distance is important.
I currnetly have a RBK50 with an additional RBS20 wired connected. Runs fine for me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!